Carnival Glory Cruise Review by GRITS cruiser

Embarkation: Port Canaveral
Cabin Category: 8A
Value-for-Money 5+

Glorious Glory 2ce in 1 yr
My husband and I cruised Dec. 13th 19th for our Birthdays,28 & 29. I'm a procrastinator so I'm just now getting around to writing a review. This was our second time on the Glory. First was April/May 2008, then Dec. 2008.

Both times we drove and stayed at the Residence Inn Cape Canaveral. Great Hotel, Comfy beds, breakfast, and we got to park there. We took a shuttle to the port for a small fee. The shuttle guy takes care of you luggage. The first time we stayed there we walked straight back to the water (probably trespassing into the condo area) to see the ship, better. What we saw were many manatee's just hanging out right in front of us. So cool. In Dec, we notice a sign down the road from the hotel that says Manatee Park turn here. So you can get there by car.

Embarkation- Went better the first time. The second time it took 10 min to get threw baggage, then we went straight up to the counter and got our room tickets. They gave us a number and told us to have a seat; we weren't aloud to get straight on the ship like the first time. After 20-30min a lady said the new number system wasn't working so they let us board the ship. Thank goodness it didn't work, because they did that in Tampa many yrs. ago and there was like 2,000 people in one room waiting for them to call numbers. Horrible start to a vacation.

State Room- We were on the right side. We suggest the left side because of the better views. We had a balcony. Falling asleep to the ocean sounds is so nice and makes it worth the extra money. A little cold in Dec. while sailing at night but it was still really nice.

Itinerary - Dec 13 Sat - embark Dec 14 Sun - fun day at see, Capt's party (5:15, or 7:15), elegant night Dec 15 Mon - Cozumel Dec 16 tues - Belize Dec 17 Wed. - Costa Maya Dec 18 Thurs- fun day at sea, cocktail party, elegant night Dec 19 Fri - Bahamas Dec 20 - Say goodbye

Cruise Director- The cruise director in Dec. was Butch. He was the best cruise director we've ever had. I think he must be ADHD. He's from Minnesotaaaaa, and a hoot.

FOOD- The food is normal type food, meaning not 5 star, but descent. When in the dinning room, just stay away from the fancy sounding stuff. I learned this from the first cruise w/Glory. The ribs are Awesome! I rarely eat them but they were mouth watering, and not messy cause they fall right off the bone. Didn't like any desserts on the first cruise so saved myself the extra calories on the 2nd ship. For lunch I ordered calzones from the pizza stand. All you have to do is order one and come back in 10-15min. It's worth the wait. We liked Breakfast in the dinning room (8-10am). French toast and baked apples every morning. I didn't have to make it or clean it, Awesome. Can't wait for this on my next cruise.

ENTERTAINMENT- We went to one show didn't really like it but we were in the balcony and trapped in, so we suffered through it. We went to the newlywed game for the first time ever. We laughed our butts off. the oldest couple were the funniest.

TIPS- A few tips from us - We went to the spa giveaway after boarding the ship. It was hot and a joke. The free giveaways were actually 50% off of 100-300$ packages. The only true giveaways were like a haircut and foot massage. Anything that says free, actually has a catch. Room service has always been quick for us. Taking our luggage off ourselves went much better than waiting for them to call your number. Oh and take your own water, soda, and 1 bottle of wine p/person. Invest in a luggage carrier to stack it all on. The huge Jewelry sales are a joke, especially the watch one. Don't go to any kind of talks like tendering or debarkation, because they will play it on your T.V. so you can watch it while you get ready for dinner and not waste your time. Putt-Putt is very windy and hard to play if the ship is moving.

PORTS

Cozumel - Took a cab to Mr. Sanchos' beach. 15$ one way for 1-4 people, I think. It was really boring, so we walked down to Paradise beach, about a 20 min walk down the beach. It was really nice there. We didn't even have to pay $10 for wrist bands to use the cool stuff because they didn't notice. The chairs are free, and they have free internet. It's not really a snorkel spot, but I had my gear and saw some basic fish swimming around.One more piece of advice, buy vanilla here. It's the really good stuff. It makes good gifts too.

Belize- Did cave-tubing.com w/ yhony. It was fun, and a definite MUST DO. On the way back they gave us wine made from cashews, it was very interesting. They lock you together when tubing so they can pull you threw on the shallow parts. You're in the water for a long time and the water was pretty cool. I wouldn't suggest taking your small kids, because it is a long excursions and I know mine wouldn't have sat in my lap for that long, plus like I said the water was probably around 70 degrees. Oh they want you to wear water shoes and you can rent them there, but they are so uncomfortable and require exact change $3 p/pair bring your own if you can. If I did it again I would wear my flip flops, because I wouldn't have lost them.

Costa Maya - We took the bus to the beach. It's the most gorgeous beach, good touristy shopping, and cheap messages. We drank cheap drinks in bar swings, and enjoyed the beach. I think it was Dec. 17th and around 90 degrees. It was like a piece of heaven. I wouldn't suggest hanging around the pier because it's bumper to bumper. We had to stand in a line to buy a bus fair $3 p/person and they wanted EXACT change. Can't wait to go back some day. Walked the beach back towards the ship and it stopped at a light house. hailed a cab for $2 p/person back to the pier.

Bahamas- The weather was great, in the 80's but can't comment on the island. My husband insisted to return to the ship as soon as we got off because he didn't like the island the past two times we ported there. Had to go to Hard Rock Cafe' and get a shirt and then we returned to the ship. We played volleyball all day long. Volleyball was something we did everyday. It was very addictive and fun. I would definitely say give it a try.

Well it was a great cruise, besides the little bit of motion sickness I had. The patches are great for that, although they may have a few side effects. We are now planning our next one for this yr.

Publication Date: 03/15/09