Celebrity Summit Cruise Review by Azreal911: Our first cruise ever, quite a fun adventure!

Azreal911
Member Since 2009

Compare Prices on Celebrity Summit Southern Caribbean Cruises

Our first cruise ever, quite a fun adventure!

Sail Date: February 2009
Destination: Southern Caribbean
Embarkation: San Juan

This was my first time going on a cruise so we chose celebrity summit mostly on the itinerary and the least amount of bad reviews here.

Our stateroom was an interior cabin on the third floor and the room was always clean our stateroom guy was the best, Clifton seems to always know when we head for breakfast like 6am in the morning and by the time we return the bed is made and the bathroom is dried up and clean! The staff is very nice they always say hello to us whenever we pass. We never sat long enough in the rooms to utilize any window or balcony since we always went out on excursions or walks around town whenever we port. I'm just not into wasting away a cruise sitting in my room this is the same with hotel rooms on our other adventures, we're just there to sleep to be in it any longer, you might as well just stay at home.

As for food I was hearing from my co workers cruising alot that the buffet food and the dining room food is usually the same. This is sooo More not the case with the summit because the dining room food in the cosmopolitan was really good our waitress Sara was amazing and very fun to chat with, she actually tries bits of all the food every evening in the kitchen and could tell us what's good and what's not and explains how it's made and what's in it. Not all the wait staff do that when I asked other guests on board. Every night after a whole day out i'm always looking forward to dinner here. We've Only had the buffet dinner the first night (usual pizza and pasta bars but it's 12am) because US airways delayed us soo bad (extra 6 hrs hanging around Philly airport from a connecting flight) that by the time our flight and bus rushed us to the boat they pulled the gangplank right after we boarded! and this was a 11pm cruise time! half the people from that flight couldn't get their luggage cause we where rushed to go. It was nice for the help desk on board to give the people free tshirts and a toiletry kit to get through the first night for the ones without their luggage until the first port in st maarten.

The ship to me looks clean and our room is in good condition didn't get any funny odors or anything. We never really used the pool areas cause every time we port we where out and about already on the island (we're in our 30's so we don't sit around the boat alot). The dinner was always a plus and the entertainment after the dinner was ok as far as those musical type shows go. There was live bands in a few of the bars at night and once a day you get a lightning trivia game to win summit swag. Their stores area is a small area with probably 8 stores, nothing really for me to buy unless you want more trinkets than the stuff you see on your port visits. I even sat through an art auction during the at sea day since I didn't need anymore sun top side, my sunburn marks is pretty much showing me as "well done". It was neat sitting in an art gallery while they explain everything about the history of the artists as they bring up the art one at a time for like 2 hrs. That's if you are into that type of thing else there's the pool and a gym topside. I'm not sure what these people are on using the gym cause we where exhausted daily coming back from the excursions.

This boat was full of seniors mostly north americans and a few latino's probably from puerto rico they where pretty quiet ones mostly young adults. Most of the tourists where polite except for a few occasions I see an angry old caucasian like yelling and swearing at the help as if they should know everything and they deserve everything they ask for. These guys they are yelling at are not managers just the help staff that probably knows about their role but not everything on the ship. All I can say is lighten up! they're not highly paid individuals and working their butt off to make a living! Funny thing the young people where the polite ones and actually smile/chat in the elevators.

One thing we found crazy was the alcohol pricing they charge like $7 US for a glass of wine or any beer! Kinda crazy cause bar on land don't charge anything like this. They just rake you through the coals on this. The martinis are like almost $10. We don't really drink so that's ok but ask for a bottle of evian and it's $4. For some I've seen that drink 2-3 glasses just from dinner it's going to easily run up the price of the cruise alone by the end of the week.

The free drinks are water, iced tea (american style), orange drink and some other fruit drinks (the watered down stuff not real juice). At least they had coffee and tea so I was cool with that. Less

Read more Celebrity Summit cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Celebrity Summit Review >>

Cabin review: Celebrity Summit 3046

very quiet interior cabin. Very clean, washroom is good for one person.

This island is highly developed everyone works I haven't seen one person begging for money at all! They also have alot of resorts here so the beach area was pretty busy all along the west side so get there early to get one of those neat straw umbrella stands. We took a tour around the west side of the island and it was just beautiful their crime is extremely low like under 1% a year and everything was just clean. The beaches we hit in the afternoon had some pretty rough waves crashing in so I couldn't see a thing with the snorkel mask at all cause the sand was just kicking up the dust in the water. My wife did a 360 from a 4 ft wave along the shore and lost her snorkel mask in the process, there was no way to find it in the murky waters so that was the end of that mask. So if you see a red mask wash up along the shores of eagle beach, hope you enjoy it! The beach itself was very clean and beautiful. Only thing I didn't like was this weed they have with spiky little balls that are on the sand that I keep stepping onto.

Read 681 Aruba Reviews

I mostly went here to join a snorkeling excursion called woodwind. They are one of the only two diving excursion businesses in the port area so you might want to book ahead of time if you are water lover. The snorkeling was beautiful and great but it was just not as wonderful as the experience I had with grenada at magazine beach. My favorite snorkeling excursion so far was still cuba their government protected corals was just colorful and the beautiful.

Read 238 Bonaire Reviews

Ok I'm going to have to give this port city a 5 for the excursion and a 3 for the port city. The port city itself is not like a tourist place at all and kinda scary looking, nothing really there and right out of the boat I see a hardware store. Yeah the tourists would really be glad they can get a wrench or screwdriver to bring back on board. Good thing was we booked an online excursion with bumping tours (http://bumpiing.bumpiingtours.com/) and for $70 US per person (with tips) we pretty much had a 7-8 hour excursion! It was crazy we started off with a 2 hour hike into and out of the middleham falls. This area was a very high elevation and they had a microclimate here with on and off rain every few minutes. The trails there was kinda scary and you can fall off an really really hurt yourself! after that we hit up another falls called trafalgar falls it was a short 10 minute walk to the falls so that was nothing after what we've been through and then we went to some cavern like area where we had to swim into with life jackets our guide gary said they filmed a few scenes from pirates of the caribbean in there and it was highly believable cause it was quite a rush swimming against the current to get in there. There was a few more things we hit up before ending it with a snorkel dive in the champagne bay and it was just beautiful with bubbles coming out of the ground like champagne. Gary our tourguide from bumping tours was really awesome to be with he stops once in awhile on those dangerous mountain roads to tell us a story about the area.
Read 491 Dominica Reviews

Grenada is a highly developed island unlike Dominica probably cause they only got hit from a hurricane once in 50 years so they don't have too much problem keeping things up. They also have a medical college there so that speaks for itself on the infrastructure. We went to magazine beach by the aquarium restaurant. It was far away from the port but it's worth it! no crowds and the water was beautiful! I love snorkeling and there was a ton of life out there. Did that for 3 hours and never got tired of it but our 3:45pm all board ruined it (i mostly gave it a 5 cause of the snorkeling). The aquarium restaurant is just at beach level and beautiful there, the person there in the morning was raking up and cleaning up the sand to keep the place spotless to attract the tourists. Also the vendors usually just ask you once if you want to buy any trinkets and won't bother you again.

Read 355 Grenada Reviews

This port was a busy port and the first port of our itinerary on a Sunday. We where one of the 3 boats and the funny thing is half the stores where closed sunday even where there was like probably 7000 people coming from the ports with money in hand since this was the first port.

We instead took a $30 cab ride to the middle of the island and had a leisurely 2 hr lunch in the hidden forest cafe in the loterie farm the food was great here (creole style cooking) and it's in the middle of the island with no water in sight. The cab has to climb quite a bit of elevation to get here. On the cab ride back we asked him to take us past marigot so we can see the french town on the way back to philipsburg. That was pretty much a ghost town cause they don't open on sundays. As we made it back to Philipsburg we walked from one side to the other and found several of the stores where closed that day. Else it was pretty nice seeing most of the area from our lunch trip.