Carnival Pride Cruise Review by bwj5084: Carnival Won Us Back! Carnival Pride 2/22/09 - 3/1/09

bwj5084
Member Since 2008

Compare Prices on Carnival Pride Mexican Riviera Cruises

Carnival Won Us Back! Carnival Pride 2/22/09 - 3/1/09

Sail Date: February 2009
Destination: Mexican Riviera
Embarkation: Los Angeles

Embarkation:

We flew into LAX early Sunday Morning. I had arranged a car service to get us to Long Beach. Several Carnival meet-and-greet staff stopped us when they saw are Carnival luggage tags and asked if they could help, although we did not need their services.

We arrived at the Long Beach Cruise Terminal around 9:30am, and a porter took our luggage as soon as it hit the sidewalk. We followed directions and signs to the Early Check-in office on board the Queen Mary. No lines to check in, but we did get a trainee who was obviously very green and nervous. After swiping our credit card and passports about a dozen times, a supervisor finally came over and helped him. Sign and Sail cards in hand, we were directed to 'Zone 2'. This was the only point at which there was a little confusion. We were actually so early that nobody else was in Zone 2, so we weren't sure if we were in the right area. A Carnival employee arrived very shortly thereafter and assured More us that we would be boarding the ship some time around 11:30.

NOTE: If you arrive early, there are very few benches to sit on. You might end up standing for almost two hours, outside, in a non-covered area. This wasn't a problem for us, as we secured a bench and enjoyed a beautiful Southern California morning.

When it was time for those of us in 'Zone 2' to board the ship, we were herded into the cruise terminal, through security, and into holding lines. After those passengers needing assistance and VIP cruisers were boarded, we made it on board.

By 11:45a, we were having lunch on the Lido deck, drink in hand, ready to relax!

We had been told repeatedly that rooms would not be accessible until 1:30p, and they were not kidding. The fire doors to our hallway were not opened until almost exactly 1:30.

The Ship:

The Pride is a beautiful, clean, easy-to-navigate ship. It seems we could always find a 'hidden' little place to hang out. (Don't miss the Sunset Garden. Most of the people we talked to on board never even knew it was there.)

If artistic nudity offends you, you are going to HATE cruising on this ship. Paintings and statues of naked cherubs, women, and men are all over the place. You can't escape them. If this is going to bother you, seriously consider a different ship.

The gym/spa area is great (and free).

The buffet is the craziest, most inefficient layout I can ever remember on any ship. By the time I got what I wanted and got back to the table, the food was cold. I didn't dine there unless scheduling dictated.

Our Cabin:

This was our first Balcony cabin (we usually opt for an Ocean View). The balcony, while small, was fantastic, and I don't know if we'll ever be able to cruise again without one. The room itself had tons of storage and counter space (remember, this is all relative to other cabins we have had, not 'the real world'). The shower was actually big enough that the shower curtain didn't stick to me during the entire showering process.

There is only one electrical outlet in the room, so bring a power strip if you are going to need to power more than one thing at a time. Also, our wakeup calls were a little spotty, so you might want to consider an alarm clock of some type.

The Staff/Crew:

Our cabin steward was fantastic, as was our dining room team. I can honestly say that every crew/staff member I encountered was friendly, professional, and polite.

Mark Price, the cruise director, and his staff did a great job.

The Food:

I rated the dining room food as slightly better than most cruises I've been on, and quite a bit better than any Carnival cruise I have been on. The buffet food was on par with what I expect (but see my comment above about the buffet layout).

Dinner at David's Steakhouse was fantastic, and very well worth the $30. Don't skip the cheese course!

Disembarkation:

We had a pre-2:00pm flight from LAX, so the purser's desk provided us with 'Group 2' tags. We did not self-assist off (Mom can't carry all her luggage down stairs), but we were in the second group off, breezed through customs, and walked straight to a waiting taxi.

Carnival REALLY did it up right with this cruise, and I will no longer hesitate to sail with them in the future. Thanks! Less

Read more Carnival Pride cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Carnival Pride Review >>

Cabin review: Carnival Pride Balcony Verandah 7174

3 big closets, plenty of drawer space, pull out sofa and pullman bed in room, convenient to elevators and both ends of the ship.

What a beautiful port! We didn't have a lot of time to explore, but what we did see looked gorgeous. We took the America's Cup Sailing excursion, which was fantastic. They split us into 2 groups of about 9, and loaded us on actual America's Cup sailing vessels. After some explanation of what we were doing and how the race would work (which I didn't even begin to understand), the first race was underway. Hoisting the main sail, even with 8 of us 'Grinding' (working the winches), was the only point at which I thought I'd have a heart attack. After that, it was all fun!

The ONLY downside to this tour is that it is run by Cabo Adventure Tours. Now, they did a fantastic, professional job, BUT, they have a great scam going. You are not allowed to so much as take your personal camera on board the vessel, but, out of the kindness of their little hearts, they staff each vessel with a photographer, who takes tons of photographs. When you return to land, you get to peruse the Photo Center, where you can buy prints for $12US (!!!!!) each (that's a 4x6, folks), or get a CD with 8 pictures on it for $80US (!?!?!?!). We all felt this was truly highway robbery, and did not purchase any of the pictures.

All four of us took the Stone Island tour/beach day. A quick ferry ride from the ship took us over to Stone Island, where we boarded transportation that took us the few blocks to the beach resort we spent the day at. Beautiful place, quiet, beautiful beach, open bar, and a decent lunch. I rented a 4-wheeler ($25 for 1/2 hour), and drove up and down the beach, and my father and I both tried the powered hang-gliding flight that was being offered by an independent contractor on the beach. The pilot took people up one at a time, to an altitude of what we guess was about 500-600 feet. He flew us around the Gold Zone of Mazatlan, as well as over the cruise ship. ($50 for ~25min). It was TONS of fun, although I cannot vouch for the actual safety of what we did!
Read 290 Mazatlan Reviews

We have vacationed in PV before, so my partner and I elected to just hop off and take a cab to a beach we like (Blue Chairs at Los Muertos, for any of you GLBT cruisers out there). My parents shopped on their own, and then took the sunset dinner cruise excursion, which they said was fantastic.