Explorer of the Seas Cruise Review by Nekochan: Great Cruise

Family & Children 5.0

Compare Prices on Explorer of the Seas Eastern Caribbean Cruises

Great Cruise

Sail Date: February 2009
Embarkation: Bayonne (Cape Liberty)

Overall, I found this to be the most enjoyable cruise yet. My most recent 2 cruises were on NCL, and I liked this cruise much better than my last cruise on NCL Gem. I liked the activities - RCCL is a much more active ship. Embarkation was fantastic. The food was pretty good, but since I'm mostly vegetarian I might not be the best judge of food quality, although my table mates seemed to really enjoy the food. The service was wonderful - I felt like the staff understood that this was my vacation, and went out of their way to make it feel like that.

This was a presidents week sailing, which meant that there were almost 1400 kids on board. It was definitely a full ship, which meant that some of the activities were a bit too crowded for my tastes.I loved the parades, the 'disco night' party and Quest (a crazy kind of game show/scavenger hunt). My son loved the dancing and the ice skating (he's 13), and developed a passion for the pizza in the Promenade.

I did find the More spa disappointing - there was no 'thalassotherapy' pool, and there was no indoor quiet pool anywhere on the ship (kind of a necessity if you're going to sail out of NY in the winter). I like to go from the jacuzzi to the steam room, back and forth a few times and then relax in a chair, but there were no chairs for this in the spa. The massage, however, was great.

The entertainment was really quite good, and the cruise director and his crew were friendly and very energetic.

I've been on Celebrity, NCL and RCCL. I would say that if I were traveling with just my husband, I would go with Celebrity (their food and service is a notch above RCCL, but RCCL's entertainment and activities are better). For traveling with a teen, I will stick with the large RCCL ships. I will only go back on NCL if I can afford a suite.

I'm already looking at my next RCCL cruise Less

Read more Explorer of the Seas cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Explorer of the Seas Review >>

Cabin review: Explorer of the Seas Superior Oceanview Stateroom Deck 6 7572

Very Small - had separate twin beds, so one bed was up against balcony door, making it difficult to have a morning cup of coffee. Balcony was smaller than expected.