Costa Fortuna Cruise Review by apungjoe: Fortuna - How unforunate!

apungjoe
Member Since 2009

Cabin Not Rated

Compare Prices on Costa Fortuna Eastern Caribbean Cruises

Fortuna - How unforunate!

Sail Date: February 2009

We've cruised several times in the past. Costa Fortuna is the most unorganized cruised we've ever experience.

We completed all the required on their website (when the site is not crashing) and when we checked in, the information is not there. My husband also registered as a Costa Club member and this was not reflected either.

Dinner seating - we requested first seating at the Michelangelo restaurant. We received confirmation that we did get this request. When we got to our cabin, we were booked for the second seating at the Rafaello restaurant.

Tipping - we've asked to not automatically include the tip on our bill. We've always done this since we want to give the tip directly to the people serving us. This will ensure that the person will actually get the money. Customer service confirmed that they did this. At the end of the cruise, the charge was there. We had to line up at the day of disembarkation to get our bill corrected!

Credit on our More accounts - my husband and I both have a credit of $63.00 (fuel charge) each when we arrived. Because we only used my husband's Costa card during our stay, they don't want to apply my credit to the final bill. Result, my husband got the extra charges and Costa is suppose to send me a cheque for my $63.00 - how illogical is this? By the way, I still don't have the cheque.

Tour Office - couldn't not even give us tips on which beach is the best in the port of calls. They are useless unless you book a trip with them. With other cruise ships, the tour office gives you tip or what to do, where to go if you are going on your own and what to avoid. For our Nassau stop, we booked a trip with them and 10 minutes later wanted to cancel it. Nope - they don't take cancellations!

Shopping Tips - they recommend stores in each of the ports. The stores that they recommend are not necessarily the best price stores - but the stores who are willing to pay them fees for sending passengers over.

Customer service staff - do not know the first thing about customer service. I'm not sure if it is a culture difference or what, but we found them very rude. When they make a mistake, they are so fast in pointing a finger to the person on staff who made a mistake instead of acting as one company and working on resolving the mistake for the passenger. Cruise Director - he needs new jokes. He was the cruise director when we sailed with Costa Atlantica 3 years ago and he is still using the same jokes!

I will never recommend Costa Fortuna to anyone. Less

Read more Costa Fortuna cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Costa Fortuna Review >>

This is the only trip that we booked through the ship. The one we tried to cancel. The trip was to the Atlantis Hotel and Aquarium. Nothing special about this trip other than seeing some see creatures up close and personal.

This is not a good trip for those folks who cannot walk very far. The water taxi to Atlantis is about a 15 minute walk from where the ship docked and the Atlantis hotel is approximately another 10-15 minutes walk from where the water taxi docked.

Read 2644 Nassau Reviews

The stop was too brief. We arrived around 5:00 p.m. Didn't see much of San Juan. Took a tour by ourselves (cost $10 per person) - ship charges $28.00 per person.

Read 1366 San Juan Reviews

If you are planning of going shopping for gemstones, etc., know your prices from back home before buying anything. If you are a shopper - this is heaven! Be careful though - go to reputable places if you are not gemstones savvy.
Read 2332 St. Thomas Reviews

(5.5)
What a beautiful little island. The beaches are incredible. Very good place to sit back and relax and enjoy the view and the water.

We took a taxi to the beach ($6.00 per person one way) and was all worth it. The people are very nice and appreciate that fact that their economy is very much assisted by tourism.

Some ships who stopped here at limited time. We met a family from Chicago and they had to be back to their ship by noon. We had until 4:30 p.m. to take the tender back to the ship.

Read 502 Tortola Reviews