Celebrity Infinity Cruise Review by smatsea

Member Name: smatsea
Cruise Date: February 2009
Embarkation: Buenos Aires
Destination: South America & Antarctica
See More About: Celebrity Infinity Cruise Reviews | South America & Antarctica Cruise Reviews | Celebrity Cruise Deals

Around the Horn- A must do once in one's lifetime
Celebrity flew me on Delta from JFK non stop to Buenos Aires on Jan 3 and American Airlines on the return Feb 15 with a stop in Miami connecting to JFK. I would have preferred to book my own air as I would have flown American round trip, but I was afraid of bad weather so I reluctantly allowed Celebrity to book air. I was not happy with the air arrangement, but I felt it was the smart move as Celebrity would guarantee making the ship in case of bad weather. The flights were very smooth just a little tedious as non stop took 10 and a half hours.

Embarkation went smoothly provided that the passengers had all the proper documents completed, which the majority did. Total time to board the ship was about 15 minutes. Well done Celebrity.

I have sailed on other Celebrity ships but this was a first time on the Infinity. The ship is only 9 years old but is really showing signs of wear and tear. I booked a Sky Suite on Deck 6 midship and as we encountered rough seas there was just as must pitching in the cabin as would have been forward or aft of the ship. Midship location should have been relatively movement free, but I think the Infinity has some problems that should have been fixed, but weren't.

Public rooms were nicely appointed but lacked imagination. Activities onboard were very repetitious if not down right boring. I really took this ship not so much for a luxury cruise experience but rather for the itinerary that it was sailing.

The dining experience was a complete turnaround compared to other Celebrity cruises in the past. I have sailed on the inaugural voyage of the Horizon as this was my first Celebrity cruise, and I feel confident to say that the quality as well as the preparation has gone down dramatically. The food makes the cruise. I would rather see Celebrity cut back on other amenities rather than the food. Last Celebrity cruise for me unfortunately.

I must say that all the staff was most accommodating and always pleasant. They are just following what they are told to do. It's a shame.

The ports of call were fabulous as well although I would have like to spend a little more time in some of them, especially Ushuaia Argentina and Port Stanley Falklands. I must tell you though it was very difficult to pack for this trip as there were so many changes in weather and temperature. I started out in Buenos Aires at 82 degrees, but by the time we reached Cape Horn I needed my winter jacket, gloves,scarf and hat as the temperature was at 30 degrees. I watched the snow covered glaciers from my veranda and as the cruise progressed it became even colder. So much for summer in South America. Ushuaia is the embarkation point for the Antarctica sailings and we were on about 500 miles or less from the tip of Antarctica literally the end of the earth.

The trip is really a must do once in your lifetime. All in all, it was a wonderful trip, however I feel Celebrity has gone down quite a bit. Quite honestly, I would have preferred to take Silversea but they did not offer the same itinerary that I wanted for that particular two weeks.

Publication Date: 03/03/09