Carnival Victory Cruise Review by djoulie: 1st cruise - Wonderful!

djoulie
Member Since 2009

Compare Prices on Carnival Victory Southern Caribbean Cruises

1st cruise - Wonderful!

Sail Date: February 2009
Destination: Southern Caribbean
Embarkation: San Juan

(sorry if my english is not perfect, my first language is french! :-) )

We are a young couple (26 and 28), it was my first cruise and 2nd one for my boyfriend. We usually go to Cuba or Dominican Republic and we were looking for something different.

We left Montreal, Canada on sunday morning feb 15th and were in San Juan at around 3h15pm. We got our luggages pretty fast, got a taxi and went directly to the Pier.

The embarkation was sooo smooth, no waiting line what so ever. Got our sail and sign cards, and went to visit the ship a little bit. I think that from outside the pier till inside the ship it took around 15 mins for us to proceed.

W went to the information desk to get our fuel surcharge credit (since we booked back in August), we got even more than we were supposed to because of an error so we didn't complain!

We were assigned a table for 8 (got the late seating as requested) at the Pacific lower dining room. We wanted to have a More private table for 2 so we went to see the Maitre D as soon as the late seating was starting at the first night and he gave us a nice table for 4 (but we were alone all week) instead. Fernando (maitre D) was of great help.

We found that the food was really good at the Pacific dining room. We tried the fish, beef, chicken.. Name it, everything was good and well cooked (except one time, my boyfriend steak was a bit overcooked). The deserts were always well presented. Also if you are into cheese, the Brie (on the desert card) was very good and well presented with fruits and bread. Our waiters (Sunarsa from Indonesia and Leslie from India) were very pleasant, and never made any mistake in our orders. Service was perfect, and Natalia (beverage service) was always suggesting some nice drinks. For breakfast we went on the Lido deck almost every morning. Scramble eggs, bacon, sausages, yogurt.. Everything was at the right temperature, nothing to complain. We really liked the sandwiches station in the afternoon (in the Mediterranean restaurant), where you could basically order the sandwich you want as you like it.

The cabin was bigger than I thought and perfect for the 2 of us. We got some friendly towel animals from our steward every night. Everything was clean. The only negative point I can find is that it's not possible to open the window in the room. We ordered some breakfast as room service 1 time, it came in on time and everything that we ordered was there. It's fun that it's included in the cruise price :-)

We didn't go to any show so I cannot review that part. Didn't go to the disco either. At the casino, I did put 20$ in the 2cents slots and came back with 22$, so I am happy haha

Debarkation process was pretty smooth also. We were assigned section 29 so almost the last ones to get out since our flight was at 4h45pm. They did 2 gangways for debarkation making it smoother I believe, we went out at around 10h45am on deck 3 (since we were not US citizens) gave our declaration cards and we were out.

Overall, I really enjoyed my first experience on a cruise with Carnival, and the islands that we visited were all unique and amazing. Less

Read more Carnival Victory cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Carnival Victory Review >>

Cabin review: Carnival Victory Oceanview Riviera 1290

Riviera Deck is perfect, not much noise, big window (ocean view rooms), big bed, sofa and clean bathroom.

(5.5)
Antigua: Booked the Conqueror of the Fort (Fort James) segway excursion through segwayantigua.com . Juliette and Joe were very friendly, and there was just myself and my boyfriend for the tour. We had about an hour of training and did the tour, went to see Fort James and Dickenson bay in segway. We had a lot of fun and recommend Segway antigua. We also had some fresh complimentary drinks. We went to do some shopping in the afternoon in St John's and went back to the ship.

Read 802 Antigua Reviews

Barbados: Got a taxi and went to the Boatyard. The beach is verrrrrrrrryyyyyy nice, long, white sand. For 15$ you get a chair, a ticket back to the ship in taxi, and a drink (multiple available). There was not much harrassment from the locals. We were there on the Tuesday which was Fat tuesdays there so there was a bit of noise and some activities organized on the beach, which didn't bother us.

Read 703 Barbados Reviews

Dominica: Booked online with Antours (47US per person), river tubing and rain forest tour. It was really a great tour, the rain forest and the emerald poold worth the tour! The river tubing was pretty smooth (lasted for about an hour), there was always a guy to help you when you were stuck somewhere. I recommand Antours, they surely have the best price.
Read 491 Dominica Reviews

St-Kitts: Got a taxi and went to South Frigate Bay. Very unique, very fine mix of volcanic sand and white sand, the view was beautiful. The drinks were not expensive there (got 6 Caribe beer for 10US), we ate at the Ziggy's bar and had the grilled chicken nachos and I think it's the best that we ate in our lives! Locals were present but very friendly. Got 2 chairs + 1 umbrella for 8$. We spent the whole day there and went back to the ship in taxi (same guy as when we came, we told him when we wanted to come back and was on time).

St-Lucia: Got a taxi and went to Reduit Beach. Very crowded, a lot of locals were harrassing us to buy things. We decided to go back to the ship early since it was about to rain, and it was ok like that since we were not really having fun there because of the harrassement.

St-Thomas: Booked the parasailing with Carnival, we had fun! My boyfriend got to parasail 2 times since somebody was alone so we got more for our money. We took a cab in the afternoon and went to Sapphire beach, nice white sand beach with all the facilities.

Read 2326 St. Thomas Reviews