Eurodam Cruise Review by MattyL: Elegant Ship - Top-Notch Service

Member Since 2008

Compare Prices on Eurodam Eastern Caribbean Cruises

Elegant Ship - Top-Notch Service

Sail Date: February 2009

We had 9 family members/friends on our 2/7/09 Eurodam sailing (age range 28-65), so we had a lot of different expectations for this cruise - all left the ship generally happy.

The Eurodam is an indisbutably elegant and well designed ship. The tones/colors are warm and sophisticated, and the layout open and free-flowing - both sensible and fun. The lido became a tad bit cramped at times, but don't most buffets do that?

We were all on the top two floors - the "spa floors." My parents were on the top, with a verandah room with a juliet-style balcony only for standing on - no chairs. The rest of us were down one floor in verandah rooms or supposedly large inside cabins - more on those cabins later. The cabin decor was very soothing and elegant, with nice bathrooms, great storage space (although the closets need better lighting), and very nice furniture on the verandah. Those of us on deck 10 who joined the spa had a private-key staircase to the spa (and 4 of us More joined), making it a great location, as we also had private cabanas on the lido deck pool (same floor as spa). If you are into the spa experience, I highly recommend this setup - we went from rooms to spa to cabana in less than two minutes!

The spa is very tasteful, and the heated beds were a great touch - also very nice turkish steam baths. The thermaspa was also great, although it was broken for just one day. Spa was kept immaculately clean and tidy, with fresh towels everywhere.

Our weeklong-rental lido pool cabanas (we rented two side-by-side and had them joined together) were a real treat. Big day beds and tables/chairs that accommodated our group of 9 perfectly. Excellent service (our cabin steward John brought us lunch when needed, as well as bottles or glasses of champagne (complimentary) in the afternoon, along with chocolate-covered strawberries. Also, the robes in the cabana made it convenient for quick trips to the spa right next door. The lido pool, with it's retractable roof (which makes an annoying beeping sound when closing or opening), actually worked very well - I was a bit nervous when I heard that it could become stuffy - was not at all, especially in our shaded cabanas. I could see, however, that on a really hot, humid day, with the roof closed, how it could become that way. Those in the retreat cabanas on the floor above the pool didn't have ideal conditions on this particular cruise - it was a little windy up there and they even had to close them up one day. I wouldn't rent one of those, as I like the pool, and it definitely was a bit awkward to get up there from the pool. But if you like peace and quiet, it would fit the bill.

Food on the ship was, for the most part, great. We loved the Pinnacle Grill (went twice for dinner), and found the main dining room to be great also. We loved the Tamarind for dim-sum lunch, but were slightly disappointed in the dinner there (we had reserved two nights but cancelled one in favor of Pinnacle). All our soups were lukewarm, and our main courses didn't seem to have enough spice. It may have just been an off-night though, and my mother's wasabi-encrusted filet-mignon was outstanding, as was my brothers' sushi entrees. The staff there were also excellent and quite lovely.

The nighclub was fun, although "DJ Jesse" could do a bit more to entertain the crowd, and cater more to those who are there (e.g. take requests). The design was sleek and modern - but there weren't many people there past 11PM. We made it fun for us, though, and the staff were really fantastic.

The string quartet that played nightly were lovely, and the shows were the best I've seen on a ship.

The service on the ship was the real highlight. Everywhere we went - superior service, and very clean spaces. I was amazed at how, on a ship of about 2000 people, how many staff people ended up addressing me by name when seeing me around the ship.

The only big disappointed were the falsely-advertised "Large Inside Cabins." There are both "Standard" and "Large" Inside cabins, but be careful. The "Large" ones on the spa floor are only 154 sq. feet, and the advertised range of all insides (including "standard") is 170-200 feet - Holland America needs to fix this on their website and other materials. Also, we didn't get to go to Grand Turk because of wind (not HA's fault). We didn't love San Juan (but it was raining), but LOVED Half-Moon Cay and had a nice time on St. Thomas on great snorkeling (Castaway Girl) and beach excursions (we took a cab to Coki - very long ride!).

Overall - love this ship and would return to it again in a heartbeat! Less

Read more Eurodam cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Eurodam Review >>

Cabin review: Eurodam Deluxe Spa Verandah Oceanview Panorama 10042

Great Cabin - super location (especially if you join the spa or go to the pool a lot). Also close to elevators. Good closet space.

Old San Juan was a bit of a disappointment. In it's defense, it was raining, but it still seemed to be full of cheap China-made souvenir shops, and there were relatively few restaurants to go to. I heard we needed to take cabs to various parts outside the old city, but that we could get ripped off in the taxi, so we decided against it. The fort was okay, but saw that 15 years ago - once is really enough. Have been to El Junque in the past, and that is beautiful.
Read 1358 San Juan Reviews

Was pleasantly surprised by St. Thomas. The port is tidy and well organized, and the beaches beautiful, if a little crowded. We had an excellent time on the Castaway Girl snorkeling adventure, and found Coki beach to be fun for snorkeling on our own. Downside of island - very slow, expensive cab service, and everyone hounds you for their business.
Read 2321 St. Thomas Reviews