Explorer of the Seas Cruise Review by tleak

Explorer of the Seas
Explorer of the Seas
Member Name: tleak
Cruise Date: February 2009
Embarkation: Bayonne (Cape Liberty)
        10-12 1.0

A Holiday Inn for a Westin price!!!

As a regular Carnival cruiser, I was very excited to "move up" to RCCL. What I got was a high end reputation and a mediocre cruise. I was disturbed to find no bathrobes in my stateroom -only suites seem to be afforded this "luxury". When it was time to go on excursions, you had to go up to the pool deck to wait on line to get towels!!! The food was okay, not what I had been used to on Carnival. The menu was fraught with dishes that sounded interesting but lacked taste. The idea that the appetizers and salads were grouped under Starters suggested you should only take one. The desserts were gross and unappealing. The coffee was bitter until the day I tried to get a cup and all that came out was sludge. When asking for ice for my hot cup of orange juice I was met with attitude in the Windjammer Cafe. There was not uniformity to things as simple as iced tea or orange juice. One day it was mixed incorrectly and was strong the next day watered down. The idea that a boat that holds 3000 people would have an after hours food area the size of my living room was absurd! My daughter, 11 also a frequent cruiser hated camp. She said there was yelling and decided not to go back. My older two were disgusted with the curfew, especially since we were traveling with other seniors in high school who were already 18 and they could stay out and she was harassed by security guards. Our cabin had fold down beds which were shimmed -I didn't understand why until the noise from vibrations kept me up at night. I went to the spa for an "All over body and facial" I did not get the services I paid for, no deep scalp massage, no reflexology, just a regular massage and facial all for the steep price of $265. Our "stop" in Puerto Rico was from 6:30 am to 11:30 am -Why bother? Labadee, RCCL's private area in Haiti was crowded and the beach was covered with broken coral, you could not go in without shoes. The market there was like a meat market, the vendors were invasive and suffocating -all in a place where I really wanted to spend money and I was so uncomfortable I left without spending a dime. On a positive: The casino bartenders were nice:) Bottom Line: RCCL only wishes it can provide the level of service I get from Carnival for much less!

Publication Date: 03/10/09