Majesty of the Seas Cruise Review by irish849: First Royal Carribean Cruise

Compare Prices on Majesty of the Seas Bahamas Cruises

First Royal Carribean Cruise

Sail Date: February 2009
Destination: Bahamas

We left Pittsburgh on a cold and snowy February 15, 2009 for the sunny skies of Fort Lauderdale. We flew into Fort Lauderdale because it is much cheaper than flying into Miami. We stayed one night at the beautiful Harbor Beach Marriott in Fort Lauderdale. This is not my first time at this hotel and it is still gorgeous. It is a resort and has its own beach. It has a great pool area and the beach is fantastic as well. Although there is a little bit of construction in the patio area it did not interfere with anything. The room and view of ocean were fantastic. It is also a very short walk to Las Olas Blvd and the shopping and restaurant area. The only downside was that they have no airport shuttle and a cab is about 20.00. It is only 4 miles from the Fort Lauderdale airport to the hotel.

After checking around for transportation from the hotel to the Port of Miami I found SAS Transportation. They are great. Cost from the Harbor Beach Marriott or any hotels in Fort More Lauderdale is $15.00 to the Port of Miami. We had scheduled a pick up of 10:30 A.M. and were picked up about 10:20. They also made a couple stops at other hotels and we were at the Port of Miami by 11:30, which was a perfect time. The phone number for SAS is 954-600-0240. The owner's name is Steve. Their website is www.ridesas.com. Having checked into all the shuttle service from Fort Lauderdale to Port of Miami from the hotels they are by far the cheapest. They would be my first choice on any future shuttle service I might need in Fort Lauderdale. We also used this service after debarkation. After getting our luggage and calling SAS, Steve was there waiting on us at 8:45. Since we had a 6 PM flight he arranged to drop us off at the Ramada Inn on the boardwalk in Hollywood Beach. The Ramada stored the luggage for a small fee and we were able to enjoy the day at the beach and on the boardwalk as well. Beautiful area and the boardwalk is great. SAS picked us up at the Ramada at 3:15 for out trip to the Fort Lauderdale airport which is 15 minutes from Hollywood Beach. They also do this at no additional cost other than the $15.00 a person. Naturally I felt they deserved more and paid more that they asked. This service may not always be available depending on the time of the year and if they are busy but even if they could not have come back and picked us up I would have gladly paid the cab fare to go to the airport. It was much better than spending all day sitting at the airport. Both flights were non stop and on time with Air Tran. We got back to Pittsburgh and after leaving the low 80's in Fort Lauderdale and it was 20 degrees and a little snow in Pittsburgh. Yuck. Why do we live here.

After arriving at the Port of Miami at 11:30 we were on the Majesty and eating lunch in the Windjammer by 12:00. I was very disappointed with the quality of the food they served in both the Windjammer as well as the dining room. This included breakfast and the lunch buffet in the Windjammer. It was very bland and in my opinion just poor quality. Since this is my first RCCL Cruise after having been on 4 previous cruises with Carnival I must say that Carnival has much better food. Other than the food the cruise was great. Although I have seen rave reviews of Johnny Rockets we did not try it. Just something about paying a $4.95 cover charge and then have to pay for drinks as well. The waitstaff at dinner was excellent even if the food was a 2 or 3 on a scale of 1-10. There was one good meal and that was the sliced tenderloin. They have a NY Strip steak on the menu every night and they charge $14.95 if you order it. They do have top round steak on the menu and although I did not try it somebody at our table said it was good. We had a nice table and had nice people from Russia, Trinidad and New York at our table. I do think that the cruises are getting less formal on formal night. Not saying that is either bad or good. It is up to the individual person and if they are happy with their attire then that is ok with me.

We attended all the shows except for the magician and they were great. I would encourage everyone to attend at least the last night's signed, sealed, and delivered show.

Debarkation was a breeze and within 20 minutes we were off the ship and through customs. The reason it took 20 minutes was because one of the card readers was out of service and they only had one working. We did take our own luggage but from what I saw it would have been fine to do the usual of having it outside your cabin by midnight. The carousel system looked like it was efficient and not backed up.

The cruise was great and the Majesty was in great shape. With the exception of one of the bartenders from the pool area all the other staff was wonderful. This guy seemed to have a problem and when the drink we ordered was not to our satisfaction he got very short and even though he did make another I could tell he was not happy with us.

I would not hesitate to cruise on the Majesty again. When I filled out my satisfaction survey I did honestly rate the food as poor. Maybe if enough people do that it would make a difference and have RCCL look at some changes to the menu. Less

Read more Majesty of the Seas cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Majesty of the Seas Review >>

Cabin review: Majesty of the Seas Superior Oceanview Stateroom Deck 9 9036

On my previous 4 cruises with Carnival I had always booked a balcony cabin. I had booked a Superior Oceanview cabin on this cruise and it was great. I may even be converted to this type from the balcony. We were in Cabin 9036 which is right next to the elevator and it was very nice. Although it had a partially obstructed view it was still good. I would not hesitate to book this cabin again on any future cruises with RCCL. I would highly recommend paying the difference for a category SO. The cabin was bigger than the balcony cabins on my previous Carnival cruises. Bathrooms were not much bigger but had a better layout on this ship. It had a flat screen tv and adaquate closet and drawer space for everything.

After getting off the ship in the Bahamas we took the advice of a previous cruiser and asked for Otis after being asked by a tour guide if we needed a taxi. Otis did a great job and for $20.00 a person we had a 2 1/2 hour tour of the Island. He was very informative. He had a nice van and also spoke very good English so you could understand him. He took us to all the well known tourist places on the Island. Although we did get a little tour of Atlantis we basically just saw the property and some of the public places. He gave people the option of ending the tour their and taking a taxi back to the ship. Although we went with him back to the ship I understand it is about a $4.00 taxi fare back. They also have a water taxi but it is a little walk to get to that from Atlantis. Atlantis is beautiful. He is the only Otis so when you ask for him they will direct you to him or have you wait because he does not get there until 9-9:15.
Read 775 Freeport Reviews

Key West was great and probably the best part of the cruise. We did a tour with Old Town Trolley Tours and it was very nice. We booked it ourselves online before leaving and it was $26.00. By booking online rather than waiting you can save $3.00 It was a great tour. The drivers we had were all very good and informative about all the history. They take you to all the highlights of Key West and you can get on and off as much as you like all day long. The best meal we had for the week was at Sloppy Joes. We had the sloppy joe which is reported to be where it originated from. Not sure if that is a fact but they lay claim to it. The key lime pie on a stick from Kermit's was just so so. Not that great in my opinion. But you have to try it for yourself.
Read 734 Key West Reviews