Carnival Paradise Cruise Review by Verde Man

Cruise Date: January 2009
Embarkation: Los Angeles
Destination: Mexican Riviera
Cabin Category: 4A
See More About: Carnival Paradise Cruise Reviews | Mexican Riviera Cruise Reviews | Carnival Cruise Deals

4 day get a way
This was a four-day Monday to Friday trip I took with my dad. There were only two minor problems on the ship.

We started the trip from Flagstaff Arizona. Took the Amtrak Southwest Chief and arrived at Union Station Monday morning 8am. From Union Station we took metro rail to Long Beach. The senior fare was fifty cents. We had one large suite case and a backpack between us. I would not want to try this method of transportation carrying more than one bag each. Not much of a problem with only one bag.

From downtown Long Beach we took the free shuttle to the Queen Mary stop. Walked over to the parking garage and checked our bags then went to a line in front of the parking garage to await the check in process to begin.

After waiting in line about five minutes at the most we were taken to the check in building. We were checked in and on board within 30 minutes total time. It was about 11:45 when we set foot on deck

Upon entering the Paradise they took our picture for the sign and sail card. There was no one in the lobby to give instructions on where to go, so we just took an elevator to the Lido deck for lunch.

We walked around the ship after lunch until 1:00 when we were allowed into the cabins. When we got to the cabin about 1:45 our bags were setting outside.

Stateroom

We had an inside cabin mid ship on deck 4. There plenty of room for two with ample closet and drawer space. Our room did have a support pole, which was standing up against the end of the dresser, not in the way at all and kind of nice since it was beside a chair and I used it to pull myself up. The shower was what surprised me. It was huge compared to most of the ones I have had it the past. It was almost the size of my shower-tub at home. The temperature in the cabin was a little cool. We turned the airflow down all the way and remained comfortable during our cruise. The beds were very comfortable and warm with the covers the supplied. There was a safe in the closet, which us uses a credit card or any type of card with a magnetic strip in the back to open and lock. No refrigerator but had ice at all times.

We met our room steward on the second day and that was the last time I saw him. He kept the room made up and a towel animal and chocolates every night. I was pleased with his work.

Ship

The Paradise itself was very clean. Did not have to wait too long for elevators at anytime. Public restrooms were clean. Deck eight which our dinning room was located did not run through the entire ship. You had to go up or down one deck to get from the front to the back of 8, that was the only thing I didn't care of about the ship.

There is a mini golf course on the top deck.

The dEcor of the ship was a little glitzy; the turquoise eggs in the atrium were kind of strange.

Casino had the usual live gaming, craps, roulette and BJ. There was an electronic Texas holdem machine that had room for at least six players. Their slots ranged from 1 cent to five dollars. You can use your sea pass card to load credits into the slots.

All the bands were very good. There was also a lounge with a DJ.

The production shows were pretty good, along with the two comedians they had on various nights.

Food

The food was good. Service at our table was ok, about the same service as Denny's. The one saving grace was the bar server. I had purchased a coke card and she was at the table every night with a soda and came back to check for refills. On formal night they had lobster tails. Steak was on the menu every night also. Most of my lunches were at the pool grill, which served hamburgers, hot dogs and fries.

Inside the buffet they had a frozen yogurt machine and pizza, which was available 24 hrs.

A coffee stand sold lattes, cake and cookies. I believe it was Seattle brand coffee.

Disembarkation went very smoothly. We had breakfast in the dinning room at 8:15 and off the ship by 9:30 and in the car by 10:00. The self-carry were off earlier.

I forgot the two minor problems I had.

1st we had early seating confirmed months ago when I booked. When we boarded we were assigned late seating. We had to spend about 30 minutes in a line to get the time changed. No problem changing the time but something that should not have happened in the first place.

2nd I had ordered a cake to be delivered to our stateroom upon arrival or shortly after. It was delivered to our dinning table instead. I did not say anything so I am not too sure who dropped the ball on this one, main office or ship personnel. Neither problem put any damper on this cruise

All in all we had a very good time. I would not hesitate to do this trip again.

Gary Davis