Diamond Princess Cruise Review by Magooster: Cruise of a Lifetime

Cruise of a Lifetime

Sail Date: January 2009
Destination: Australia & New Zealand
Embarkation: Auckland

I have always wanted to go on a cruise. Unfortunatly the budget never allowed us to be able to holiday in style by cruising. We finally saved up for our first cruise! I booked the cruise from Auckland to Sydney on the Diamond Princess. I was looking for a long cruise time, but no ships were sailing into to Sydney at this time of the year for us to able to go on a longer holiday.

The Diamond Princess was more than I expected. How beautiful is she? We had a balcony stateroom. The room was a little small but I found it to be cosy and perfect for the amount of time we spent in there. My suggestion if anyone is to cruise to pay a little bit extra and get a balcony suite as I found, when you wanted quiet time from all the hustle and bustle on the ship, there was no better place to retreat to than your balcony, cruising overlooking the ocean. The crew and the staff on board were magnificent, never did we ever come across a rude or unhelpful staff member. Our steward More Angelo was fantastic. Anything we wanted he would attend to in a quick and mature manner. He would always have a chat and was always smiling, totally magnificent.

The bar staff and the all the staff in the dining rooms were fantastic. As I said, no one was ever rude or unhelpful. We thought the food was fantastic. The dining room menus I thought were always unique and very tasty! The horizon court food was okay, it was good to have the horizon court, as a quick option to grab something to eat anytime of the day.

I found the majority of people on the Diamond Princess were a lot older than myself and my husband. This was a little disappointing because at night when you wanted to go and have a drink, dance and meet people all the bars and nightclubs were dead (maybe my expectations were too high here, maybe I should go on a Caribbean cruise if I want to party. I have heard the 7 day Caribbean cruises are one big party!)

When the ship was at sea I found there was always plenty to do, yes I have to agree with other members reviews, that a lot you had to pay for, but there were things you could do that were for free and very enjoyable.

The one thing my husband and I did not like about the Diamond Princess (and I am sure this is what other cruise ships do as well) was it was all about selling, be it drink packages, photos, or whatever else it was, we did not like this at all.

Our overall experience was out of this world and how great is it having to unpack once!Can't wait to book our next cruise (hopefully in 2 years). Our goal in life is to experience a WORLD CRUISE, this would be our ultimate dream. Imagining unpacking once for 100 days and seeing the world, what a way to see the world, cruising would have to be the best. Beats flying from country to country, carrying luggage everywhere, checking in and out of hotels. CRUISING IS THE ULTIMATE EXPERIENCE! Less

Read more Diamond Princess cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Diamond Princess Review >>

Cabin review: Diamond Princess Oceanview Double with Balcony Baja B336

Cabin was fantastic. Baja deck midship, not to far from the lift. Small room but cosy. Lots of storage space. Shower very small (but not the end of world). Loved the balcony, what a way to have your own quiet time, best thing we did, by paying a little extra for a balcony. Overall very happy with cabin. If we cruise again with Diamond Princess I will be requesting the same room!

Auckland port was fantastic. It was easy to get to etc. The taxi took us right to where you drop off your luggage then we had to walk 20 feet and we were in line ready to check-in. Not bad.

Getting off the ship and collecting our luggage and waiting for a taxi home, was fantastic. They were very organised at the Overseas Passenger Terminal.