Carnival Glory Cruise Review by mr0315

Cruise Date: February 2009
Embarkation: Port Canaveral
        Under 3 5+
        7-9 5.0

A great time on the Glory
We flew in the morning of embarkation and made use of Carnival's airport to ship transfer. I was traveling with my husband Todd, daughter Megan (9) and daughter Emily (2). This was my 7th Carnival cruise. We're Vacation Club members and have VIP embarkation - great perk. There was a large wedding party boarding that slowed things up a bit, but we were on the Lido deck within 30 minutes. We received a letter with our sail and sign card alerting us to the fact that they had overbooked the first dinner seating and bumped us to the late seating. Off to the dining room we went, only to find a line that snaked half the deck. After waiting for 20 minutes, a staff person came out to tell us all that there was nothing that could be done. Keep in mind, we have 2 kids with us who are usually in bed by 8:30, but we decided we'd keep a positive attitude and give it a try. As I expected, our 2 year old didn't last. She ate one dinner with the family and ate with Camp Carnival the rest of the trip. Our dining room service was wonderful and made up for the disappointment. Ariel was our head waiter. Not only was he efficient, but also very friendly and courteous. Dining room food was excellent - a nice improvement over our last few cruises. Andrea was our bar waitress and made sure to bring my irish coffee out for dessert every night.

Back to the large wedding party. It seems they all had the open bar cards and they all had 2nd seating. They tried very hard to get their money's worth from those cards. On the first night, one guest decided to entertain the dining room with his singing -very loud and off key. Subsequent nights brought yelling, cursing, and a near fist fight from 2 women. Several diners complained, but nothing was done to quiet them down all week. We had yet another dining snafu on Wednesday night, my husband's birthday. I had made reservations online for the Supper Club and had confirmed them when I called Carnival before our trip. Somehow, they lost our reservations and we were told very rudely, that there were no other openings the rest of the week. Friends of ours were there that evening and said there were plenty of open tables!

Overall, I really liked the decor of the Glory much more than some of the other ships we've sailed. No urns, No purple grapes, no "naked guys in the elevator" as my 9 year old puts it. I'm not a big fan of the Conquest Class layout, though. I don't like how only a few decks run all the way through. We booked adjoining oceanview cabins 2367 and 2369. This was wonderful! We put the girls on one side and kept the doors open to our room. This gave everyone a bit more room and privacy. Our room steward was like a ghost. We only saw him once or twice, but he kept the rooms spotless. I found the Lido deck service to be a bit lacking this cruise. Tables would sit piled with dishes and trays for long stretches before they were cleared. Waiters taking drink orders seemed to be everywhere though. This trip was much more laid back than our usual cruise style.

We've already seen the production shows, and the hypnotist gets old after a few times. One comedian was pretty good. My husband is usually at every game show and game of bingo, but we did a lot more lounging this time. Camp Carnival is fabulous. Kudos to "Guacamole", Anna, Ria and Jose Luis and of course Funship Freddie! Emily couldn't wait to go to Camp when we took her. She made crafts and played games; had her face painted and did Build a bear. She would greet her counselors with a big hug and kiss each time. We did leave her on the ship during 2 of our excursions, but I felt pure confidence with their care. My 9 year old is at that stage where she is "too cool" for Camp; but she did go to the late night party and the farewell party and enjoyed them. We booked all of our excursions through Carnival this trip. Cozumel...the ruins at Tulum. Gorgeous scenery! Our tour guide was very informative, but also gave us time to explore on our own. We had some rough surf, so the beach was closed. Headed back to the shopping area and ate an incredible Mexican meal at a place called Senor Frostie's.

Belize...Snorkeling at Goff's Caye. The snorkel boat picked us up at the ship and we headed out. Again, rough surf, so we weren't able to snorkel from the boat (too much chance of getting the boat swept up onto the reef). So we swam from the shore of our tiny but beautiful Caye. I was a competitive swimmer in high school, but by the time we got out there, I was exhausted. So was my daughter who I had to drag back to shore. I also got knocked into a giant brain coral and cut up my knee pretty badly. Not the great experience we expected. Costa Maya...Jungle beach break. This was just what I needed. A nice, small beach with soft sand. Plenty of hammocks and lounges. Water sports if you wanted them. A restaurant. Open bar with the best margaritas. We kicked back and enjoyed watching the kids play in the sand. Nassau....Atlantis Aquaventure. This was so much fun! There was a play area for the little one and it was heated water! I could have sat there all day watching her climb and play with the fountains. My husband and older daughter would take turns dragging me to the slides - I didn't know you could go that fast! I had checked out some of the slides on youtube, so I had an idea of what to expect. What a thrill ride! There was also a lazy river, a rock wall, huge aquariums....lots to do! My only complaint is that we didn't have more time.

We had a late flight, so we were among the last to disembark. There were lines, but it appeared to go pretty smoothly. Overall, we had a great time. I'm sinking into my post-cruise depression now - time to book the next one!

Publication Date: 03/07/09