Norwegian Jade Cruise Review by pcrews: Incredible ! Highly recommend this ship

Incredible ! Highly recommend this ship

Sail Date: January 2009
Destination: Europe - Eastern Mediterranean
Embarkation: Barcelona

Prior to leaving for this cruise I began in early January reading about the past cruises (Oct., Nov and Dec ) aboard the Jade and saw that most were pleased but apparently one cruise was not able to dock in Greece and passengers were disgruntled with the reasons they were told. I decided to have an optimistic attitude prior to leaving and therefore my cruise was better than expected.

First, I think the ship colors are bright and cheerful and pleasant to the eyes. This is a very large ship (my largest one yet) and I really enjoyed daily exploring and finding new bars and new restaurants on board. We did not try and see it all the first day at sea.

We had dinner our first night in the Le Bistro and was very pleased with service and food - off to a good start. We were very satisfied with our cabin which had a very large picture window and 2 twin beds that made a double bed. Our luggage was delivered within a couple of hours boarding. During the course of the trip we ate More in the LeBistro twice, the mexican restaurant twice, sushi one time and Cagney's once. All met or exceeded our expectations. We had dinner in all of the included restaurants and only ate once in the buffet as seating is a real problem. We participated in the cookout the last day at sea and again was pleased.

We chose to handle our own excursions or to go out on our own with the exception of Egypt. Due to some mishandling by the ship of my passport between leaving Barcelona and being told we could pick them up prior to arrival in Egypt - Norwegian arranged a complimentary one day excursion with one of their tours and to their credit the front office manager contacted the individual who I had paid a deposit to prior to leaving the US and told her my situation. The individual gave our deposit in cash (US) to another passenger the next day and they returned to our stateroom so we were not out any money. For those of you that are not aware when Egypt is part of the itinerary the cruise line is required to keep and hold your passport from the time you check in until the day prior to arrival in Egypt. This was a bit of concern for us but as with many other things you feel confident that they have done this many times before and all is or will be well. In our case, we found out differently. My passport was 'misplaced' the entire day at sea prior to Egypt and while working with the on board Immigration officer' we were assured and explained how an emergency passport would be arranged for me IF mine did not turn up. They were all very professional in how they handled this scary situation and answered all of our questions. They handled the tour for us, gave us a letter for a dinner/wine in any on board restaurant and were scheduling time for me to call home and advise my family of the situation. Late in the evening they called and said my passport and been found and it was being delivered to my stateroom. They also told us to carry on with all of the complimentary items. You can't imagine what a relief it was to see my passport and from that point forward it never left my handbag. I do believe this was an isolated incident and we knew they were as concerned over the situation as we were. After this incident we were back to enjoying the cruise and looked forward to Egypt and Malta.

Overall we were very pleased with the ship, the staff, the food, the ports, and embarkation and disembarkation was the greatest. One comment is that we were allowed (1) bottle of wine in our suitcase on board the ship. We learned that we could purchase a bottle of wine or champagne from one of the bars/restaurants and take to our cabin but of course it was not inexpensive. We would like to see an 'all inclusive' deal offered in the future. We would like to be allowed to bring a bottle of alcohol on board as well as we enjoy a cocktail or two in our cabin in the evenings. Understanding that this keeps you out of their bars and spending money on their cocktails. A small charge to bring a bottle on board would be acceptable and a small charge for 'setups' also would be acceptable. I believe the only negative I have to say is it seemed everywhere you went during the day in a public room there was loud music. Some areas were so loud you couldn't carry on a normal conversation with anyone around you. Music in bars and public rooms are fine but just not so loud in such small closed in areas. We are on board to listen but also to socialize. Less

Read more Norwegian Jade cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Norwegian Jade Review >>

Cabin review: Norwegian Jade 5530

This was a conveniently located cabin to the elevators (2 directions)and stairs. It was quiet and had a great window. Plenty of storage space however the bath was barely big enough to turn around in, especially the room where the toilet is.

One of the cruise critic members had arranged with Athens Taxi a microbus and their Mercedes which was to hold (4) passengers. I asked for the Mercedes at 45 euros per person. The day of we were advised that some folks had canceled and we could join the microbus or stay with the Mercedes and the son Dimitris. We stayed with the Mercedes willing to pay more if necessary. I highly recommend this tour group. Father and Son and very professional. Dimitris the son spoke very good english, knew his way around the city and to the many sites and kept us punctual. Because we were able to go on our own he took us to one of his favorite restaurants up on a hill with a beautiful view and then took me where I could shop for a couple of hours. It was so nice to know we could leave personal items in the car and know he would be waiting when we returned. I highly recommend this tour company - locate them on the internet.

This is a very interesting place to visit. armed guard on the buses and they all go to the pyramids together...it is a long way to the pyramids but worth it. They are incredible to see and touch. However be prepared for continuous harassment from the venders at the pyramids - they are EVERYWHERE and you can't get away from them. We couldn't even carry on a conversation it was so bad. and don't even think about a camel ride - some it cost $50 to get off and some $100 to get OFF....if you take a picture of one and their owners see you they harass you for money. It was very unpleasant there because of the harassment but evidently no one cares enough to stop it. I heard one lady was let in the restroom but because she didn't have egyptian pounds they wouldn't let her out until someone from her bus went and got her out. Be ware but definitely go and enjoy the best you can. The hotel buffet is great and NO Mummy Tummy for us.

Internet service available a 6 USD for an hour in the port....Another couple asked us to share a taxi with them to the Bazaar which is where we wanted to go first. I had read about this incredible shopping mega and wanted to go...so off we went. This is a must see place. Ended up buying a leather coat (offer $100) no matter what the coat is and see what happens....Beautiful linens, jewelry, beads, candy made in Turkey - anyway, if you want to hire a taxi to take you on a tour - find someone that speaks english and their language and agree up front on a price and stick to it. we agreed on $20 and the taxi tried to hit us up for more each chance he got....I loved shopping in Turkey and the site from the top of the hillside at the palace ruins is beautiful !!!!

Read 153 Izmir Reviews

Again we took the hop on hop off but I would strongly recommend hiring a taxi driver for the day. Go to Mdina and see the glass being made and the linens - beautiful. The city itself is just beautiful and the views are unbelievable. Most everyone spoke fluent english and was friendly and helpful. It is a bit of walk to exit the port area where the taxis's or buses are located so allow time. This is somewhere worth going back to visit for sure.

If you are doing Rome on your own, you must get on a bus outside of the ship and it takes you a mile or so to a drop off point and then you have to walk about 1/2 mile to the train station or you can hire a taxi. We took the train as well as many of the ship passengers and it took about an hour to the first stop in Rome (The Vatican). The train was comfortable and we met a lovely couple from Ca that we chatted with the entire way and then ran into on the ship later in the cruise. We chose to walk to the Vatican and then take the 'hop on hop off' bus which was like 18 euros each. It was great until it started raining so hard which was fortunately after lunch. there were many stops we would have probably enjoyed had it not have been raining so hard. Rome is a beautiful city to see and the shopping is great (Murano Jewelry - I fell in love with). Most people speak english or understand enough that we were able to converse easily. We took the train back from what was called the last stop in Rome and it took every bit of an hour and a half. There were about 30 other passengers with us on the train and we were all back to pick up the last bus back to the ship by 7pm but NO bus! so we started the walk to the ship and thankfully as taxis were leaving the port from dropping other passengers off many of us were able to stop the taxis and have them take us. We all reported to the staff on embarkation that the 7pm bus never showed. I think everyone made it back on the ship though.