MSC Orchestra Cruise Review by seasick sissy

MSC Orchestra
MSC Orchestra
Member Name: seasick sissy
Cruise Date: January 2009
See More About: MSC Orchestra Cruise Reviews | Western Caribbean Cruise Reviews | MSC Cruises Cruise Deals
Public Rooms 5+
Entertainment 5+

Ship Facts: MSC Orchestra Review (by Cruise Critic!) | MSC Orchestra Deck Plans
It's raining Italian Men!!
With kids sail free, I thought the ship would be full of kids, but not any more than the other cruises we have been on. Embarkation and Disembarkation were both very smooth. That out of the way, we had a great time!!

The dining room food was wonderful, our waiter was very sweet, he wasn't entertaining like on other cruises we have been on, but I am not there for a show, the waiters work hard enough without being expected to entertain you. I loved just about everything in the dining room. The cold soups are very good, I followed others advise and had fish several times. Delicious!! Even the kids (12 & 15), tried some new things and really liked them. The buffet was fine, they had a good breakfast, but he lunch had lots of things that didn't sound good to me. Lots of fish based rice or vegetable salads. They did have a fabulous pesto lasagna one day. There were always hamburgers and hotdogs on one side and other the other, pizza, don't have to pay extra for it anymore unless you go in the evening and sit in the back buffet. TIPS: Breakfast and Lunch, both buffets are open and have the same items, so go straight back to the second one, no line and there will be tables available at the end of the ship! Also, bring a water bottle with you, fill it each morning and put lemons from the coffee stand in it. You will have refreshing water to drink when you are off the ship! There is a talent show on board the last day, so if you have a talent, bring what you need for the show. Sheet music, instrument, outfit, whatever.

If you are into buying souvenirs, Key West and Cozumel, had the best prices. Grand Cayman is too commercialized. Key West, we took the Conch Train tour, it was fun seeing the whole island and you can go back to places, or get off and on all day. Cozumel, we rented a jeep and drove around the big circle. That was great, we could stop where we wanted. Played in the ocean and went to the Myan Ruins in the middle of the island. It was a great day. Grand Cayman, with choppy waters, it too forever to get everyone off the boat. If you aren't doing an excursion, before breakfast run down to the Excursion Office and get a Tender number, otherwise you will have to wait 2 or 3 hours to get off the boat. We only had time to take a taxi to the Turtle Farm then shop a little in town. Cayo Levantado, we just went to the beach. Gorgeous beaches! The vendors there have all the same stuff and wanted way too much. I did buy some Rum, the black bottle rum is really good!

All in all, we had a great time, I don't know that I would cruise with them again, but it was nice to have the European experience. I love the way the announcers can say their introductions to a show or game in English, Italian, French and Spanish without a pause in between. I also appreciate that they don't try to constantly sell you things like on the other lines. MSC has some improving to do, but they definitely are trying.

Publication Date: 03/04/09