Carnival Glory Cruise Review by gweedo: Exotic Western Caribbean on the Glory

Compare Prices on Carnival Glory Western Caribbean Cruises

Exotic Western Caribbean on the Glory

Sail Date: January 2009
Embarkation: Port Canaveral

My husband and I booked this cruise with my sister and her husband for a relaxing winter vacation. It was our 4th cruise experience. The first 3 had been on RCI-one being a 2 week cruise tour to Alaska. This was my sister's first cruise and we looked forward to seeing a cruise through a first timers eyes. We are almost senior citizens and were looking forward to a relaxing vacation. We drove to Port Canaveral from the west side of the state where we had been visiting family and parked in the parking garage.

Embarkation was smooth and simple. We had all the required info and was able to get on with no trouble by around 11:30. We of course did what everyone else does and headed for the food. After eating we toured the ship and tried to familiarize ourselves with the layout. The Glory is a beautiful ship, however all through the week we found the deck plans to be cut up and sometimes confusing. Carnival has installed more than adequate elevators and there were not many More times that we had a problem getting one. This was one of their positives.

Our staterooms were right next to each other but not connecting. However on the Glory one can have the balcony partition removed and we did this and doubled the size of the balcony. It enabled us to have many visits either early morning or late in the evening just to go over the day etc. or just watch the stars.We had an excellent steward,Jhon, who answered all our questions and tried his best to please. We did use room service and they were very fast as well. We did not get involved in a lot of the activities on board. My family members were regulars at the casino and enjoyed themselves. My husband never leaves home without the small laptop so internet access is a must. He was able to purchase a package for this but for most of the cruise experienced problems getting on line etc. There is a very small internet cafe off the corner of one of the bars and it had computers people could use and sometimes a manager was there to help out. I did go to the spa one day for one of their in port specials and found it was worth the money charged. My therapist was skilled and very friendly without being pushy to sell stuff as so many try to do.

The shows were what we expected. I don't think any really stand out as exceptional. We did attend all but one-the hypnotist. Carnival is known as the fun ship and their were a lot of people having fun. We tended to do a lot of walking and just relaxing. I was impressed by the number of participants for the mile walk for a breast cancer cure. For a small donation you got to walk a mile and received a t shirt and bracelet and met a lot of really nice people.

For dinner we were in the lower level of the Platinum Dining room. Service was good as was the food. We were located on the bottom and to one side so we were not included or even saw all the entertainment that the wait staff was doing. We heard the maitre'd but never met him. On RCI the maitre'd will visit your table every evening. ( I am sure by the end of the cruise my family members were tired of my comparisons with the other line as well) We were impressed by the flavor and quality of the American beef we were served. We raise beef animals in the midwest and have a good idea of what good beef should be. My sister and her hubby did go the Emerald room for dinner one evening and had nothing but wonderful things to say about it as well. We also enjoyed the breakfasts served in the dining room each morning. There is nothing better than having a meal served to you. Now the buffet-Red Sail Restaurant. It was always packed especially for lunch since the dining rooms were not open for lunch. Every meal you had a treasure hunt for your favorite food of the day. The layout is very cut up with buffet lines in one place, Chinese(which we didn't find for a day or two) over and back on one side, sandwiches on another side. The fish was up some stairs and hamburgers were by the pool(By the way these were very good!). If you wanted pizza it was aft by the other pool. My biggest complaint and probably only real complaint about the food was the lack of sugar free options. Less

Read more Carnival Glory cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Carnival Glory Review >>

Cabin review: Carnival Glory Balcony Upper 6272

Nice room with a great balcony. The bathroom was better than I expected. We were close to the elevators but had little or no noise from them. The room had a lot of storage space as well.

This was a new port for us. The ship anchors 5 miles out and you are taken to the Tourist Village in a shuttle. We did a city tour and airboat trip. It was interesting to see the city and the surrounding marshes. Again we opted for a Carnival excursion having reading about the crime problem the city has. We saw evidence of that is the bars on many windows and police checkpoints. I think Belize City is a growing tourist area and will probably get better with time.

This was our first trip to Nassau and we did a historical tour and visited the Pirate museum. Being a teacher of history I always find these interesting. Of course everyone drove on the wrong side of the street and drove very fast. The tour was given by a well versed individual as he drove along. There were 8 of us in a van and it was fun. In the shopping area of the town it was crowded and congested. We did a little looking and made it back to the ship-again for a late lunch.
Read 2662 Nassau Reviews