Norwegian Sky Cruise Review by capnweb

Cruise Date: September 2008
Destination: Bahamas

Ship Facts: Norwegian Sky Review (by Cruise Critic!) | Norwegian Sky Deck Plans
Uninspired by Norwegian Sky
I booked this cruise as a treat for my daughter during our holiday to Florida. As we only had 10 days in all, a 4 day cruise to the Bahamas was perfect. We have previously cruised with Carnival and Royal Caribbean and thought it would be nice to try a different cruising style. In future we'll stick with the "formal".

EMBARKATION was quick and easy, with no queues and we were aboard in no time at all. We were greeted with a complimentary drink as we boarded. THE SHIP itself I thought was quite nicely presented, all public areas were clean and well maintained. However, we did find it quite difficult to find our way around as there doesn't seem to be a direct route to anywhere, and we did have trouble navigating our way from place to place in the beginning.

OUR CABIN was OK, clean and fairly comfortable but very basic with a tiny bathroom and an awful shower curtain - the type that clings. Courtesy toiletries were cheap and nasty. I had eagerly awaited the arrival of "fluffy animals" in our cabin, but alas, there were none!!

FOOD was very disappointing and left a lot to be desired. The buffet was the worst I've ever had, and everything was loaded with salt. Choices were very limited, lacking in imagination and repetitive during the cruise. A lot of the dishes weren't being replenished as they were emptied, and no-one seemed to care. Breakfast in the main dining room was lovely, lots of choices, but evening meals were less pleasing. The portions were small, and again everything I had contained too much salt.

ENTERTAINMENT was OK but you had to be in the theatre waaaay in advance of the shows starting to get a seat, otherwise you were stood squashed in at the back of the auditorium.

To sum up, we enjoyed ourselves during the cruise and didn't let the negative things spoil our holiday, but cant say I was impressed by anything aboard this ship. I'm pleased it wasn't our first cruise, and would steer away from "freestyle" cruising in the future.

Publication Date: 03/04/09