Carnival Splendor Cruise Review by skye99: Splendor is the perfect name for this ship!

skye99
Member Since 2007

Compare Prices on Carnival Splendor Eastern Caribbean Cruises

Splendor is the perfect name for this ship!

Sail Date: January 2009

We had an awesome time on our cruise. We will probably only cruise from now on when we go on vacation. Everything seemed easy getting on the ship. I'd say we were on the ship by 11:30. The cabin wasn't ready, but we had a nice lunch on the Lido Deck. When we got to the cabin, it was compact (inside cabin), but I was surprised by the storage in the cabin. There were two closets, one with shelves and a few drawers at the vanity area. The bathroom was small but had all the necessities. I was worried about having an indoor cabin, but found I didn't mind not having a window. It was also nice and dark in the room when we wanted to sleep. We were given an upgrade from 4A to 4E which was great. We were on the 8th floor so we just had to run up one flight to get to the Lido Deck and down 3 to get to Promenade. It was really nice when the elevators were busy.

The staff was awesome on Splendor. Being employed in service industry, I was extremely impressed. Our cabin steward Raj, was More always very friendly and addressed us by name. When we came back from port, he always asked us about our day. I have to give credit to the public area cleaners. They were always busy polishing or cleaning. It seemed they worked around the clock to keep the ship clean.

The Splendor was a huge ship and we had some challenges at first getting to know where everything was, but we were given a map of the ship decks before we boarded which was very helpful.

I didn't know how the days at sea would be, but I found them very relaxing. There were plenty of activities to do, so there is no way you could ever get bored. We enjoyed the trivia games, movies up on Lido deck, and the many other activities. It was very nice to have breakfast up on Lido deck and watch the ocean. The entertainment on board was very good. I went to a show every night as well as the late night comedians. The activities staff was very energetic and seemed to really be enjoying their jobs.

As for the ports, we visited San Juan, St. Thomas, La Romana, and Nassau. The only one we had been to before was Nassau. I would say St Thomas and Nassau were the best ports. San Juan at night is a bit scary and La Romana has nothing to offer unless you do a shore excursion. We went to Santo Domingo and took an historical walking tour. It was very interesting and our guide was funny and informative.

On the ship, both my husband and I visited the spa. I would highly recommend the spa for a splurge. It was amazing. We both had the seaweed wrap. It came with an hour massage. We had this on the 2nd day at sea and it was just what we needed after being in port for 3 days.

Our dinner was at 8:15 which worked out fine. We never felt in a rush. Our server was Igusti from Indonesia. He was pleasant and efficient. We enjoyed the performances every night by the wait staff.

The food on the ship was good. The dinners were the best. I enjoyed the Mongolian BBQ. The lines seemed to move through pretty quickly. We ate at the supper club one evening. The service was very good. We probably would not do it again on the next cruise, given the service in the main dining room was excellent and there is really no reason to stray. The coffee shop was very nice. My husband enjoyed the coffees and the cakes and other treats there were delicious.

It was a wonderful vacation and we will definitely cruise again. In fact, we will go in just a few months because while I was playing Bingo on the ship, I won a 7 day cruise for 2. So, Carnival, see you in a few months! We look forward to another great vacation.

And just a moment about debarkation. It seemed well organized. We had our luggage in the hallway by midnight. We didn't fly out of Ft Lauderdale until the next day, so we were in no hurry. We slept until about 8 and went up and had a nice last breakfast. It took a while to call our zone since we were on the 8th floor, but we just relaxed in the public areas and called our friends and family to let them know what a great time we had. The coffee shop was open on that last morning which was nice.

Can't wait to go again! Less

Read more Carnival Splendor cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Carnival Splendor Review >>

Cabin review: Carnival Splendor Interior Verandah 8234

good closet/storage space, plenty of shelves in the bathroom. Close to elevators and stairs. Didn't hear very much hallway noise. Plenty of room to walk around the beds with them pushed together.