Carnival Victory Cruise Review by aplmac: Short but very sweet!

aplmac
Member Since 2007
23,544 Posts

Compare Prices on Carnival Victory Southern Caribbean Cruises

Short but very sweet!

Sail Date: November 2008
Destination: Southern Caribbean
Embarkation: San Juan

We flew to Puerto Rico to catch this cruise...a short, three-day affair leaving P.Rico on the Sunday night, passing through St.Thomas in the U.S.Virgin Islands, then through DOMINICA the rain-forest island, and (for us) ending in Barbados where we live. Boarding at San Juan was the usual long line, but it moved smoothly...there's only one way to get 2,000 people on one ship, and it takes time!

Our balcony cabin was superb, not to mention very handy for taking photographs at the spur of the moment! LOVED the ship's atrium -very photogenic! The ship itself is lovely, well appointed, nice carpets, a great water-slide for the kids, good food both in the upstairs LIDO Restaurant and in the main dining rooms, a mini-golf course up on a top deck forward that I think few people were even aware of,unfortunately -and a biiiiig screen showing movies on the LIDO sun deck.

We weren't on the usual one-week cruise arrangement. Ours was a quick mini-cruise lasting only three short More days and then we were home to Barbados....oh well, there's always another time...soon! I loved the ship...found it interesting to explore and photograph and would certainly go again! Less

Read more Carnival Victory cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Carnival Victory Review >>

Cabin review: Carnival Victory Balcony Upper 6431

Balcony Cabin 6431 was quiet,spacious and comfortable. Loved it! Bathroom was adequately spacious,too...and there's a Safe in the cabin! We spent Election Night 2008 on Victory, with my wife glued to the TV, watching the results come in! I made great use of the balcony for photographs.

Barbados is cruise talk for beaches. There's so much to do here, even apart from the beaches thing! Bottom Bay(see my photo) is a bit far out, but there are other very nice beaches closer to the Port. Harrison's Cave is a must-do...it's in the middle of the island, so you'll see a fair chunk of the island just in the transiting to/from the Cave, which has streams of running water going through the beautifully-lit caverns -it's like Nature's Underground Cathedral in parts!

Read 701 Barbados Reviews

Dominica hasn't changed a lot in 70 years, and remains the way the true West Indies were, before the advent of Tourism as an industry. Long may it remain that way! Dominica is not about beaches...it's about rain-forest and waterfalls. Take a tour through this greenest of islands -DON'T stay on the ship! You may never get the chance see a truly-Caribbean island still looking like it was 1930, again! Dominica is 'Nature Island' ..a bit like Hawaii in parts.
Read 491 Dominica Reviews

St.Thomas was 'okay'.. although I was disappointed with the "sights" we were shown (mostly underwhelming) -I'm sure our driver could have done a lot better, scenically-speaking! Best view we had was that standard view everyone goes to(in my photo)

Read 2318 St. Thomas Reviews