MSC Lirica Cruise Review by twochefs

MSC Lirica
Member Name: twochefs
Cruise Date: January 2009
Destination: Southern Caribbean
See More About: MSC Lirica Cruise Reviews | Southern Caribbean Cruise Reviews | MSC Cruises Cruise Deals

Ship Facts: MSC Lirica Review (by Cruise Critic!) | MSC Lirica Deck Plans
IF THIS ITALIAN STYLE CRUISING THEY MUST BE JOKING!!
When I was sent the price from our Internet travel source we thought it would be a great time to try out a cruise line we have not tried. We were very interested in their itineraries because they are smaller and can visit different ports. We asked our agent and she said some people love it and some people hate it. Well we thought we would try it. Needless to say it was our 1st and will definitely be our last. There is a total lack of communication with the cruise ship as a whole.

1st) I have to tell this is the cleanest ship I was ever on. They clean and clean constantly. When we mentioned it to the crew they said they are the only ship that has gotten 100% with no comments the last 3 inspections. I think that is what they feel is money in the bank.

2nd) Our cabin was very spacious. We had walk in closets that were fabulous. We took the top category which I think was an 11. These rooms are bigger than the concierge class on Celebrity.

3rd) The staff in the Martini Bar and the Casino were very nice and were very accommodating.

Now for the bad:

1st) The food is the worst we have ever had. The times were very unaccommodating if you were doing any excursions or just wanted to sleep in. There is no room service to speak of unless you want a cold sandwich. I don't know why they can't bring an egg to your room in the morning. The pasta was worse than you would get from a can of Chef Boyardee. Really!! When we mentioned this to the bar manager he said because we were Americans who are used to Olive Garden and Pizza Hut we don't know what Italian dining really is. He really said that. My husband is Italian and we are gourmet cooks. Their meat is the worst. It appears to be boiled and then some gravy poured over it. Most of the time you can't cut it. This was the 1st cruise we lost weight on, really!!

2nd) The casino is not open until 4pm. Sea days they don't open until late. I know they only have 7 casino employees but if they added some they would make more money. They have 2 roulette tables taking up all the space, they could put in another card table very easily. There was almost a fist fight that broke out over not having seats at the card tables.

3rd) You can't book shore excursions on line before you go so you have to figure out that you need to call your agent and have them try to book them. It is really quite insane.

4th)They changed their ports without telling us. No explanation. They changed the time we left, no explanation. They changed the time of the dinners, no explanation. They really don't communicate to anyone.

5th) They give you the opportunity to take your own luggage off if you need to be one of the 1st ones off the ship. We had to catch a plane at 10am so we were cutting it close. We took our flight info to them and they said yes you will be one of the 1st ones off. They morning we were supposed to be off as one of the 1st ones, there were probably about 750 people who took this option. Everyone was butting in and most of them were saying what will we do all day we don't leave until 5pm. I think they could be a little bit more organized. They don't ask, as other cruise lines do what time do you leave and get you off the ship in an orderly fashion. Again I thought a fight would break out.

6th) They do the automatic tipping, which I never care for. They don't need to work for their tips and the people who do work hard don't get them. We found out that the cocktail waiters/waitresses don't get tips. There is no place to put them on your check you have to give them cash. When I mentioned this to the bar manager. He said we do the automatic. I told him other ships do, but the cocktail waiters get something for each drink. He was really shocked.

It is a real shame. The boat is a great size and has so much potential. I never heard so many people who were so upset.

Publication Date: 02/18/09