Majesty of the Seas Cruise Review by beaker38

Member Name: beaker38
Cruise Date: January 2009
Destination: Bahamas
Cabin Category: N

Majesty of the Seas (Long Review)
Hello All,

My husband and I just returned from a 5 day Cruise on the Majesty of the Seas from 1/26-1/30. We had a good time. The weather was beautiful, especially since we live in Illinois and they received 8 inches of snow and had 8 degree weather while we were basking in the sun.

We flew in on a direct flight from St. Louis to Miami on American Airlines. We stayed at the LaQuinta East near the Airport because of the free shuttle service from the airport and to the port. We had to wait approximately 1/2 hour for the shuttle to arrive at the airport and then we were whisked right to the hotel with no problems. The hotel was very nice for a pre-cruise stay. The rooms were clean and comfortable. There was some airplane noise but nothing significant and it did not disturb our sleep at all. I have to agree with the rest of the cruise critic readers that there is nothing close by to this hotel. We didn't arrive until about 8:00 p.m. so we just ordered Pizza in the room but when I asked about local restaurants upon arrival the desk clerk gave me some information on close, sit-down one's and stated they would transport you to them. I am sure for a small fee but very convenient. There is a very small gas station approximately 6 blocks from the hotel but don't waste your time walking there for pre-cruise snacks and soda because they only sell individual bottles, which are about 10 cents cheaper than you can buy out of the vending machine at the hotel. Very little choice of any other snacks.

We signed up at the desk upon arrival at the hotel and were placed on the second shuttle to the Port. We left the hotel at approximately 11:00 a.m. and were checked in and on the boat by 12:00 noon. We were some of the 1st on the boat. We went to the Windjammer for lunch. The food was good but not all that impressive. As my Cruise went on, I felt like I was in the movie "Ground Hog Day". It seemed like anytime we went to the Windjammer it was the same food over and over. It also seemed like the same desserts everyday. The Pizza at Salerno's was very good but even it got old after eating it several meals. I don't know if it's just me but this is the 3rd Cruise I have been on, on 3 different Cruise lines and I'm most disappointed with the food. By the time I get off the boat, I'm always ready for real food. Regular meat, potatoes, vegetables, without all the extra fancy stuff. I know this is all part of the Cruise experience but...... I think what got me the most was the leftovers on the lunch buffet on Thursday that they had served for the BBQ on Coco Cay on Wednesday. We ate at Johnny Rockets one evening and the fries and onion rings were excellent. The burger was just OK. I'm not sure the whole experience was worth the $4.95 cover charge per person and I think most people agreed because it didn't seem to do a big business the entire cruise.

The Activities on board seemed to be somewhat lacking as well. If the Belly Flop contest was going on at the Pool, that was the Activity. If Bingo was going on, that was the Activity. There were no other options. There were plenty of wait staff available if you wanted a drink though. I will say that EVERY staff member we passed was very friendly and spoke. The Shows that we saw were very good. I can't believe someone hasn't gotten maimed or killed during "The Quest." That gets somewhat crazy! The Comedian was very good and so was the Impersonator that sang 70's songs. I waited all week to see the Musical Act but missed it due a headache so I can't give any review on it.

Coco Cay is absolutely beautiful. I think it was the highlight of our trip. We walked around the island (from things I learned here) and had the entire far side of the island to ourselves for approximately an hour. It was beautiful. The Nature trail about killed me though! It's longer than you think and I'm not in shape! I have several beautiful pictures I would like to post them but I have to figure out how to condense them down first.

Our room was small but satisfactory. It was actually bigger than what I was expecting from the reviews on here. My only disappointment with the room was whatever or whoever was above us had a herd of elephants sharing the space with them. Lots of thumping and bumping. For what we paid for the entire trip, we certainly got our money's worth and I didn't expect more. I guess part of my disappointment in the ship came from Cruising on the Caribbean Princess in Oct 2007 for my 20 year anniversary. My 1st Cruise was on the Carnival Sensation before she was refurbished in 2005. When I stepped on the "Majesty" it was a flash back from that 1st Cruise. Nothing can compare to a 7-night Cruise on a newer Princess ship. It is my own personal preference but I now know that I will not sail on an older ship again.

Despite being somewhat disappointed with the boat, the Ports of Call more than made up for the trip. Yes, I will sail again but only on a newer ship. Majesty would be a perfect ship for a first time cruiser with no expectations of what a newer ship has to offer.

Publication Date: 02/10/09