Carnival Splendor Cruise Review by MONTEL: A Splendorous Cruise - Carnival Rocks!!!!!!!!!!

MONTEL
Member Since 2010

Compare Prices on Carnival Splendor Eastern Caribbean Cruises

A Splendorous Cruise - Carnival Rocks!!!!!!!!!!

Sail Date: January 2009

I honestly don't know where to begin to explain how wonderful this cruising experience was. From embarkation to debarkation everything was basically.....perfect! Being VIP we checked in at a separate desk and then were escorted to a separate are where we were to wait for further instructions. Once the ship was cleared (and cleaned) we were escorted onto the ship before everyone else. When you enter the ship, it is, in fact, as all other reviews have stated, very PINK. I am not sure whether it was because I had already read so much about it or what, but I actually thought the ship and the decoration style was gorgeous! When the founding executives of Carnival decided to give the line the trademark "fun ship" name, they really had some incredible insight into the future because on a Carnival ship it is almost impossible to not have fun! Plain and simple, there is always something to do, somewhere, and for all different ages, and then there are places for those people who want to do More nothing but relax. The Carnival Splendor was a perfect ship for all of the above.

The dining experience on the Splendor was nothing other than spectacular. There was not one dish, appetizer, entrEe, dessert that wasn't simply incredible. The other venues for eating, The Grille, the Deli, the Rotisserie, the Lido Buffet and the pizza were all outstanding. The service in all of these eating venues were fantastic. In fact, all the service personnel on the ship were extremely friendly, always offering good wishes for your day, and always with a smile. They were professionals to the max! Our dining room attendant, Leo at the Black Pearl Restaurant, was apparently a very seasoned and expert head waiter because he was always extremely attentive to every detail of our tastes and preferences and was also very personable and had a warm, funny nature. He was fantastic.

The shows were mostly very good with a few exceptions, but the definite "must not miss" is Vroom. I am not the kind of person who enjoys these Las Vegas type shows, and I went to most of these because I was traveling alone with my husband and did not want to stay by myself elsewhere, but even I have to admit that Vroom is, in fact, as rated, the best show on any cruise line. Up until this moment, I had not witnessed such an outburst of applause and standing ovations as I saw for this particular show. It is not to be missed.

We had an inside cabin on the 10th deck. It was a spa cabin, so we had unlimited access to the spa, the thylossotherapy pool and all the special rooms. It was quite an experience and we took full advantage of the "unlimited access" and used it every day, either in the mornings on the day at sea, or in the afternoons, after we returned from port. After you have walked a few hours in the sun, the pool and the steams and saunas were heaven-sent! Given a choice, I would never book anything else on a Carnival ship that offered these spa cabins. Our cabin steward, Appollo, was fantastic. In fact, fantastic is a very small word to describe him. He was constantly attentive to our every needs, always asking us if we needed anything, making sure we had ice, towels, pillows and was always looking out for our bags of laundry (a VIP perk). In the afternoons, he would bring it back all clean and folded. With the exception of our last day, we always had a bag ready for him daily to wash and fold. Marvelous cabin, marvelous attendant. Cabin had a very comfortable bed, lots of closet and drawer space, all nice and new and very pretty decorated.

Again, our experience on the Splendor (as in all other Carnival ships we have sailed on) was fabulous. An all-around fantastic cruise, cruise line, crew and staff. So much so, while on board, we booked a future sailing on the Carnival Dream for 2010! Carnival has not disappointed me yet on my cruising experience and I don't expect it ever will.

The casino host and attendants, as well as all the table dealers were all very friendly and genuinely happy to see people winning, (when we won)! Less

Read more Carnival Splendor cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Carnival Splendor Review >>

Cabin review: Carnival Splendor Interior Panorama 1006

In La Romana there really is not much to do. Having been there previously on another cruise and realizing there was not much to do if you had already seen Altos de Chavon, Catalina Island, Saona Island, all of which we had seen, then our only choice was either staying on the ship or going to Santo Domingo. We were initially hesitant thinking the long bus ride was going to be boring and a waste of time, but in actuality, it was anything but. We booked the Santo Domingo Historical City Tour through Carnival (the 6 hour without lunch tour) and we were pleasantly surprised. It was a very good tour for our money and we visited lots of sites, monuments and churches and residential and shopping areas. The tour was well worth our time and money and I would recommend it to anyone.

Nassau is almost like home away from home at least that is how we feel when we are there because we've been there so often. Living in South Florida, it is very easy to hop on a plane or a weekend cruise and visit the Bahamas. We took the ferry boat ($3.00 per person, one way) to Paradise Island and then walked to Atlantis where we walked around the hotel to the extent we were allowed and then gambled at the casino. Not wanting to risk getting back late to the ship, we took a cab back to port. ($4.00 per person, one way).

Read 2615 Nassau Reviews

Puerto Rico is a beautiful island, but unfortunately we didn't have much time to see it. We arrived at 5:30pm and left at midnight. Fortunately, we had moved our clocks and had an extra hour of daylight, which gave us about two hours to walk around Old San Juan, and take lots of pictures. After that walk, we went into the Casino at the Sheraton Hotel across from the port and spent another couple of hours there. We then returned to the ship around 9:00pm and had dinner. Dinner was open seating that night so it was relaxed and very convenient after our exhausting walk in San Juan.

Read 1358 San Juan Reviews

We have been to St. Thomas so many times that we were not very interested in going downtown which is the norm for most people, so we took a cab ride to Megan's Bay Beach. It was a $9.00 per person, one way ride to the beach, plus a $4.00 entry fee, a total of $40.00 for the both of us. It was a beautiful sunny day and we were not disappointed. A beautiful beach, and the ride to the beach offered some spectacular views of St. Thomas.
Read 2322 St. Thomas Reviews