Norwegian Sky Cruise Review by msydpdx

Dining 5+
Entertainment Not Rated

Ship Facts: Norwegian Sky Review (by Cruise Critic!) | Norwegian Sky Deck Plans
Little People Rule
This is part deux of our b2b on Sky to the Bahamas.

Embarkation: After clearing customs as 'in transit' passengers, we walked over to the entrance and were placed first in line. After a 45 minute wait (not sure why), we were let in 1/2 hour after the doors would normally open. We were directed upstairs immediately and within 10 minutes we were back on the ship. Although we weren't supposed to go to our cabin we did anyway to make sure all of our luggage had been transferred. True to their words our previous Butler and Cabin Stewards had delivered everything. With that we were off to the bar to have a sail away drink early, followed by lunch in the buffet. Once we were able to get to our cabin we unpacked and settled in for sail away.

The ship: Sky is a beauty! Her colors are fabulous without being garish. With all the Hawaiian decor it seemed weird that there is no Asian restaurant aboard. I hope her dry dock refurbishment might include this. Too many bars...need some small venue eats. The porthole style and teak decks hark back to the days of the Queen Mary.

Dining: We skipped the buffet breakfast and ordered room service with cereal, yogurt, juice, rolls and coffee/tea. It was delivered on time and, except for the last morning, a phone call announced the imminent arrival. We had lunch in the buffet twice and wished we'd had another option (the dining room was serving nothing that sounded good to us). Le Bistro: A fabulous dinner of escargot, salad and lamb chops, followed by creme brule'and everything was delicious and the service was what we have come to love about Le Bistro. Il Adagio: We've never tried the pizza, so after having a salad we proceeded to pizza which was very good. The size is right for 2 people following either salad or an appetizer (the calamari is awesome). Cagney's: Always our favorite place and the lamb chops are equally as good as Le Bistro, but prepared in a totally different way. The macadamia nut icecream with brownie and cracked caramel topping is to die for!

Cabin: Knowing this was a Malaysian ship may say something about this balcony cabin seeming teeny-tiny compared to other ships. The shower is circular and small, with a curtain instead of a door...good thing...you'd be bumping elbows. This is a hard one for the ladies to shave their legs inbasically you have to turn the shower head towards the back wall (you can't turn the water off as you get cold water instantly), open the shower curtain part way and stick your leg out. Now picture all this while you are rockin' and rollin' on a ship! The beds were horribly uncomfortable and the pillows are almost as bad. I found a very old drink glass under the bed with a petrified piece of lime in it. I asked the Cabin Steward how long ago these glasses were used (I've never seen them on a ship) and he hadn't a clue. The noise of neighbors is unavoidable with the paper thin walls. The deck is of ample size for two people. We found the porthole style window and windowed door to be charming. Storage is quite good, but only for a small sailing or for one person. We had towel animals two nights; the first night I noticed we only had one bath towel. When I asked the Steward for another he informed me that I was to use my towel animal! Horrors! I like to line them all up at the end of the cruise and take a photo of my 'zoo'. But he was sweet and gave me another towel; the next night I had a miniature elephant made from wash cloths!

Entertainment: We heard a lot of it was x-rated and that people were sitting on the stairs (isn't this a fire violation?), so we just skipped them. (When we were in the suite on the previous sailing we could never find out if we had reserved seats or not due to not being able to find our Concierge.)Having said that, I find the best entertainment is to watch the world go by you as you sit in the sunny window sills.

Ports: Nassau: Having just been there a couple of days before we were relieved to have sunshine and cool breezes. We walked the 2 miles to the zoo and had a fabulous time seeing the flamingo show, chatting with the Macaws (they talk back) and seeing some creatures that are only native to the Bahamas. It is easy to see, outside of downtown, how much has been ravaged by hurricanes. The zoo is in process of being put back together and it appears to be an overwhelming task. The $15 each entry fee was fine with us...anything to support these people and what they're trying to do. Great Stirrup Cay: We never go to the Cay; we love having the ship all but to ourselves and it's a great time to relax, pack, plan the last supper, etc.

Crew: Again, no consistency in anything. No one manning hand sanitizing stations, ask a question get several different answers, three trips through the financial desk to get our obc credited to our account. The one thing that worked well were the restaurant reservationsI think NCL finally got it figured output it by reception.

Disembarkation: Wow, it went really quickly! We were off the ship and through customs in under 15 minutes!

Final note: If you read part one of this b2bMonica finally surfaced...her social schedule seemed to include daily lunches with other staff instead of being in Cagney's or the Plantation at her Concierge lounge. I think Monica needs to go back into training and then have a shadow...any Concierge we have had could run circles around her.

Publication Date: 01/27/09