Celebrity Century Cruise Review by BradandJeff

Home > Reviews > Member Reviews > Celebrity Century Cruise Review by BradandJeff
Celebrity Century
Celebrity Century
Member Name: BradandJeff
Cruise Date: January 2009
See More About: Celebrity Century Cruise Reviews | Eastern Caribbean Cruise Reviews | Celebrity Cruise Deals
Rates 5+

2nd time on Century-Still a great ship!
My parents were looking to take my partner and I on a cruise as we have done cruises with them before and we all have a great time. I am 39, my partner is 45 and my parents are in the 60's. My parents had sailed on Century twice before. My partner and I had previously sailed on the Century shortly after she was refurbished. This was in November of 2006 and I can say that two years later the ship still looks great!

We looked for a 5-7 day cruise on HA, Celebrity, and Princess. Well the rate we got for Celebrity sealed the deal. Celebrity offers a much better experience in my opinion that say NCL or RCCL. I'm afraid to say what we paid because it might let the secret out. Needless to say it was a VERY good deal and you can find some dirt cheap cruises on this ship (and others) if you know how to look.

The Century is a perfect sized ship. Not too big, not too small. The decor is pretty contemporary and it is a fairly easy ship to navigate around. The gym is very nice and the public areas and lounges are a great place to relax and socialize. The staff is very friendly and very sincere in making sure you have a good time.

The only caveat I had was the food quality seems to have slipped a little. Often times the hot food in the buffet was lukewarm or cold. Some of the meals in the dining room were hit or miss. Beef short ribs were simply amazing while the veal was tough and overcooked. Also, when my parents first sailed on Celebrity years ago they would serve you a whole lobster on "Formal night". When we sailed two years ago they would serve you a lobster tail. This time it was only half a lobster tail. They have also removed the escargot from the appetizer menu but we were able to get it upon request. I had read that RCCL was doing some cut backs and this is where it seems to be taking place. The crew is very friendly, with the exception of the wait staff at breakfast. Not sure why, but they all seem really mad most of the time. (We were not the only people to have noticed this.) One other thing is that they no longer seem to be enforcing the dress code in the main dining room. Each night there were several people in t-shirts and jeans. Getting dressed up and enjoying a nice dinner is one of the reasons we like cruising so much. I wish people would stop being so slobbish but I guess we can't change that. The maitre d' said they've basically given up trying to enforce the dress code.

*The martini bar is the most happening space so get there early. Order the $9.95 martini sampler and it is enough for four people. (And we like to drink!) *Skip the pay classes in the gym. They are often very crowded. They usually offer some free stretching classes each morning or something similar. *The food in the Spa restaurant is top notch. *This is definitely not a party ship. If that's what you're looking for then you will be disappointed. Often times the lounges were completely empty at 9:00. *Celebrity has made a conscious effort to reign in the "chair hogs" at the pool. Thanks! *They offer a FOD meeting each night but no one showed up. Our last cruise with them we had about 30 people at each meeting. *In addition to their expanded room service menu, you can order the entire dinner menu from the restaurant and have it served in your room. *The sushi bar is a great way to enjoy the sunset and have a light snack. *The drink special of the day is always a good value as the drink prices on Celebrity can be quite high compared to the other lines.

All in all it was a great cruise. My only two (minor) complaints are that is was too short and the food quality has slipped a little. We would definitely sail with her again.

Publication Date: 01/27/09