Celebrity Summit Cruise Review by barryod

Embarkation: San Juan
Destination: Southern Caribbean
Spa & Fitness 5+

A Family and Friends Cruise
I would like to begin this review with a little bit of information that may be helpful to some. If there are children traveling with you who are step children, make sure you have documentation other then passports, which prove that you are the parent of that child. Contact the cruise line prior to leaving home for the required documentation. Other then the above glitch while boarding, everything went smoothly. Everyone met at the dock (26 of us) at 12:30 p.m. and after hugs and kisses, we were in our cabins by 1:15p.m. Some of the cabins were 2128, 6082, 7003, 8181, 8164, 7212, 8146. Ours was 8146 which had that angled balcony. No one had any complaints about their cabins or service.

The overall service on board was what I have experienced on prior Celebrity cruises. As our group's leader, any issues were given to me and when I presented them to Celebrity, they fixed them immediately. Exam: double posting a charge, blow dryer didn't work, someone's tux shrunk while hanging in their closet and needed one quick. Celebrity's staff came through!! Because we were a group, Celebrity assigned a go to person for us and her name was Princess. She seemed to be there every time I turned around and had a question. She arranged a bridge tour for our group which was great. With my DW, Princess coordinated a surprise 60th b-day get together at Michael's Club for me on our last day at sea.

We had three large tables together at the 6:00 seating. When I first got on board, I went to the main dining area and in three minutes with the use of the computer they were able to meet our seating request. You don't want to ask me about food cause it's all good to me. I will say though, the beef selection was limited. My DW would say, "Barry, expand your horizons". The waffle, how I love thee! The new waffle makers are great. All the waffles I ate were fresh off the iron. Orange butter, cherries, whipped cream...that's how I roll. Ice cream and pizza were good. I loved the pasta bar. Do try to dine atleast one night at the Normandie restaurant.

I used the pool area from 9 a.m. to noon on days I was on board and the thalassotherapy pool at other times. Was in the gym by 6:30 a.m. and made sure to take a sauna each day. The track on deck 11 was used by me after breakfast and not crowded. My DDs decided against the children's program only because there were plenty of adults willing to spend time with the kids. There were five of the most well behaved kids dining with me every night...my grand kids(;-> We all took the tour of the children's area and it sounded very nice, but just didn't fit with our plans. I can't understand the soft spots on the floor areas in the dining room and carpeted areas in general. This has been discussed on various threads but Celebrity doesn't seem to address it. I mentioned it to the front desk and they said it was going to be rectified. Be careful and watch your step.

Our group used the valet service. We received our boarding passes, airline baggage IDs Friday night, and met in the theater at 8:20a.m. Saturday. Our flights from San Juan were within an hour of one another so we all were called off at the same time (9:00) quickly got our bags, handed in our customs forms, gave our bags to the airline reps and grabbed a bus for our whole group for $7.00 a head and went to the airport for the flights home. In closing, I went on one excursion and that was on Dominica to the Sari Sari Falls. I consider myself to be in good shape and would recommend no one go on this excursion without having some sort of exercise program in their life. They say that there is a 12 years of age limit. It should be 18 years old or older. I will advise Celebrity of this. Pigeon Point Beach on Tobago was great!! Off the ship there was a visitor booth who hooked us up with a bus and went to the beach for $10.00 a head round trip.

Publication Date: 01/27/09