Carnival Glory Cruise Review by Retired Sparky

Home > Reviews > Member Reviews > Carnival Glory Cruise Review by Retired Sparky
Carnival Glory
Cabin Category: 8E
Dining 5+
Value-for-Money 5+

Glory Eastern
Sailed on the Glory 1-03-09 there were 7 of us , flew in the day before . Rented a car from Thrifty got the car fast and we were off to Cocoa Beach . We stayed at Double Tree Cocoa Beach ,when we booked the room they said breakfast was included when we got there they said breakfast was not and said we needed to book a package witch we thought we did. Had lunch there very good and priced right. That night we went to Fish Lips a must before cruise lots of fun and good food. Be careful double-bubble the put 2 shots in your drink and they are strong. Got up next morning and didn't want breakfast anyway , headed to ship to drop off luggage and women . They would not let us in it was 11:10 said we had to come back at 12:30 they had a False Fire Alarm earlier . So we all went to drop off the 2 cars and when they dropped us back at the ship at 12:05 we drove right in. there was a line of 10 or so people waiting to get in the building , in no time at all we were in and once in never stopped again until we were on the Glory. We went to lunch on the Lido deck and had our first PIG OUT . toured the ship and went to our rooms . We had 3 balconies 1023-1027-1031 on the Panorama deck. These cabins were ideal top floor of balconies great view and a few steps to a hot tub and pool. 10 elevators close by. Our cabin steward Win was great saw him when we got on board and at lease once a day to make sure we did not need anything. Two buckets of ice and clean room and towels 2 times a day.

About dinners we had table 205 Golden upper , window but they left the curtain closed all cruise . This was our seventh Carnival cruise BEST table yet lots of room to move and talk. Our wait staff Carlos and Juan-Carlos they were just perfect always called us by name . They remembered all our needs served us proficiently and even danced with my niece. The cocktail waitress was always there as I sat with my Martini . The food ; I just don't understand how some people complain . This is our 13 cruise 7th on Carnival the Glory served us the best meals ever. Only one meal did not get eaten the duck was served raw European style so my sister could not get it down. My niece and her husband work for NASCAR and travel and eat in the finest restaurants all year and they said all there meals were top notch . Honestly the soups were out of this world not the usual hot water you get from Carnival. We all agreed the best meal was the short ribs but all sea food and steaks were served just right. The Emerald Room food was a notch better but my thoughts were I liked the dinning room ( everyone else liked eating there more than me ) ........

Most mornings we had room service for breakfast just call it was faster than leaving out the card at night. If you like smoked salmon with bagel and cream cheese order 2 you can't get it this good anyplace. My morning favorite cheese Danish with extra Wisconsin cheese ( butter ) .One morning we tried the dining room they only serve in the platinum lower level hard time finding it so we did not go back. Most lunch's I had cheese burger and hot dogs my wife and sister said the red sail had good food but long lines. I would go out by the aft pool for pizza or dogs no lines ever. The fish-n-chips were OK but I am picky about this and sometimes thy were soggy not enough sea food in the sea food stew .

Things we did on the ship - some of us enjoyed the casino my sister won BIG, my wife lost but not much. I played Hold'em poker every night and we had a good bunch of players the only thing was they take 12 percent max of $10 each hand even more than Vegas . We went to a few shows ( not impressed but it is not me ) laid out at the pools lots of chair hogs me included the hot tubs were never hot but then you could stay in longer. The rest of the time we were eating !!!!!!!

The islands in the Bahamas I stayed on the ship had the pools to my self and a privet bartender . The rest wet shopping don't waste your time they said most shops were closed. St. Thomas we did the Christmas Cove sail and snorkel clear water and good fish lots of fun but they never sailed . CAUTION : do NOT drink the rum punch we had to help carry two guys up the stairs and onto the ship . Before we sailed we went to a bar on the dock to have Bushwackers and watch the other two ships leave you must do this . ( note wait to buy all your souvenirs till St Maarten )

St. Maarten me my nieces and my brother-in-law went on the Americas Cup Sailing . We have gone on many shore tours and by far the most exciting yet . This is not a tour for the week first no bathrooms 3 hours . You will work cranking the sails no place to sit just your station . We had the boat way over water coming in, could not take pickers to wet and to busy . If you do not have a week heart do it!!!!! Sign up early they sell out. Buy your booze here cheep, my sister bought a camera Sony for here husband there daughter works in PR and Sony is an account and she said she could not beat the price.

Disembarkation went fast we were called first number ( 5 ) after the self carry we had an early flight line was long but moved . We got a limo from Orange County Limos they were there at 8:30 right on time and we were to Orlando airport early.

Best things - Food, cabin location, clean ship, GREAT SERVICE , soup, did I mention the food. Bad things - I don't like to complain but the elevators were slow not lots of people waiting just slow. Taking 12 percent at poker and no pickled mushrooms for my martinis next time I will bring my own.

I will stay with Carnival until they start charging what they deserve for there product.

Publication Date: 01/26/09