OK Cruise - Not Great for Young People or NON-Smokers: Norwegian Spirit Cruise Review by edro
Overall Member Rating
OK Cruise - Not Great for Young People or NON-Smokers
Destination: Western Caribbean
Embarkation: New Orleans
Positives: 1. We booked 9 months in advance, and about 1 month prior to leaving, we found that the prices had dropped by 50%. We called in and upgraded to a balcony, from a window for $50 additional.
2. Freestyle dining was nice, as you could eat when you wanted and you didn't have to sit with strangers.
3. The magic show and improv show were cool.
4. The pub with the acoustic guitarist crew member was our favorite spot. Its kind of sad that our favorite spot for entertainment was the bar though.
Negatives: 1. We had smokers on both sides of us in our room. Every morning, we were woken up by the horrendous smell of cigarette smoke. The rooms must share an air duct or something, because it was as if they were in the room with us. It made no More difference if we opened the balcony door or not. The front desk told us that smoking in the rooms is prohibited, but they cannot enforce it.
2. Freestyle dining is nice, but there are only 3 places to eat for free. One is a dress up place, one is casual and the other is the buffet/cafeteria. All the rest are pay restaurants that are $15-30 per person.
3. The boat was small and old. This gave us a feeling of cabin fever after the first day. Because the boat was small, it added to the rocking of the boat, which made us slightly sea sick a few days.
4. The ship activities were few and far between. It's a good thing there were 4 ports to stop at.
5. The pool was small and not very elegant or inviting.
6. 95% of the cruise passengers were over 55 years old. This is not an exaggeration. Chit chat with the crew told us that Norwegian is known to cater to the older crowd. We did not know this before booking with Norwegian. Less
Cabin review: 11
Nice view, decent amount of room. We would have loved it if we weren't surrounded by smokers.
Port and Shore Excursions
We took the cave tubing excursion. It was a neat excursion, with its good and bad qualities. Our tour guide was awesome, the food was great and the tubing was fun initially. After 30min. was floating along, you get bored just wish you were back on land. My girlfriend freaked out a little bit, as she is a little claustrophobic.
It was a neat excursion, but I wouldn't do it again.
The port had some nice imitation Coach, LV, etc purse stores. Their drug stores also sold any prescription drug you can imagine. We heard other couples talking back on the boat. They said they had gotten Viagra, Vicodin, etc. Whatever... just don't let the border patrol catch you.
It's a good thing we planned a trip to the Mayan City of Chaccoben. They were amazing and the bus trip wasn't too long. The lunch and beer on the bus ride back were good as well.
If you stop in Costa Maya, you should definitely do an excursion. I have no idea what you would do in the city-mall for 6-8 hours.
We took a taxi to a local beach resort and laid out on the beach all day. I don't remember the name of the beach, but it was a $15 cab ride. The other closest beach was a $17 cab ride.
The food at the beach was good and the beach was very clean and nice.
Sorry, that's all I got for Cozumel.
This cruise exceeded our expec...
Small Ship - Great Crew - Love...