MSC Orchestra Cruise Review by LaurLaw: This Was HORRIFIC!

LaurLaw

This Was HORRIFIC!

Sail Date: December 2008
Destination: Transatlantic
Embarkation: Genoa

I was on the Horrific transatlantic sailing. I agree with my co-cruisers...this cruise was the worse. And not getting any better might I add. We have been back 3 weeks and they are still not responding to issues that were present on this cruise. Example being we had damage to luggage that they agreed was their fault. They gave us a loss and damage report from the Chief Officer. Took 2 weeks for MSC to respond and they claimed there was a disclaimer on the form....I've looked the form up and down...not a single disclaimer. Now I get, oops, it must be in all that paperwork with your tickets. So why give a loss and damage report?

In any case, everything everyone said was true. From embarking to disembarking....it was s nightmare. Enjoyed the ports. Being off the boat was always a treat. We ate in every port we could as the food was terrible. (For those that wrote the food was good...where do eat????) I can't imagine that the Chef has "suddenly" learned how to cook. For an More Italian cruiseline we expected more but would have settled for edible.

I think the lack of concern for safety was my biggest complaint. No crew showed up at all for our muster drill and you could not hear the PA system out on deck 7. No hand sanitizers until the first American port. We had to bus our own tables everyday in the buffet area while the waiters just stood and watched you (I can tell you every cabinet to find rags, salt, sugar..just ask me). Well, they did start bussing the last three days...just in time for tips. Speaking of which I have never seen so many people remove the tips from their bill. They gave out pink papers for it at the Accounting Desk and the line was all the way to the bar...guests with their pink slips in hand.

Our cabin was of good size but very noisy. We were on deck 12, just below the pool and you kid hear the kids running around and the chairs being dragged across the floor. We could also hear one of the cabins next to us very clearly, not so much the one on the other side.

What made this trip enjoyable were the people that we met. Out of 2800 passengers we only met 3 couples that were enjoying themselves. Topic of conversation was usually the disasters each passenger overcame that day. We made lemonade out of lemons and managed to have our own fun...no thanks to MSC.

One more joke..."I don't know." To anyone that sailed with us, they'll know what I mean. This was the famous line given by the crew...including the Information Desk. It got to the point anytime anyone said these three words you'd hear a group of nearby passengers bust out laughing.

I hope they got their act together. Other disappointed passengers had been on some of their other ships and enjoyed but were appalled by the service on this one. It is a beautiful ship so all I can say is, if you consider this one...Good Luck! Less

Read more MSC Orchestra cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's MSC Orchestra Review >>

Cabin review: MSC Orchestra

Nice cabin...balcony. A bit noisy on deck 12 as you hear everything on the pool deck above you. Don't know about other cabins.