Carnival Victory Cruise Review by ralip28

10-12 5+
Value-for-Money 5+
Rates 5+

Puertorrican Family Review
Just returning from a great vacation week @ Victory Carnival. Before start my review of this lovely cruise, I would like to give my respectful opinion to a lot of USA cruisers talking about US Puerto Rican people at cruise. As Puerto Rican I am very proud of my beautiful island, our people, costumes and traditions. First of all, we do not receive any special deal in the rate with any of the cruises departing from here; like you, we have to work hard and save money to be able to enjoy a vacation. Obviously it is attractive to us, to have the possibility of a complete vacation without the necessity of paying for the Air Fair. But sadly I must admit that the behavior of some groups of Puerto Ricans (locals, as you called us) at the cruise is rude, loud and obnoxious. But it is not fair to judge all the people from Puerto Rico by the bad behavior of a few ones. This note is for us the Puerto Ricans: Remember when you are at any place, people will not judge you by your name, or your family name...people will judge you simply as a Puerto Rican. Let's applies this "liberal" thought in our lives: "my rights end where yours begin".

Now I will share with you our experience at the Carnival Victory Cruise. We fill the Registration Expedite so the Boarding Process was really fast. At port there are lots of rums tasting, which are delicious way of start your vacations. Once aboard we went to our beautiful, spacious and comfortable Balcony Cabin #6246. The beds are really nice and comfortable. Then we went to explore the ship, a big and confusing one. We went to Camp Carnival facilities to receive information about it. At night they make the Obligatory Muster Drill, and that was a really disorganized nightmare. Cruises must find a more effective, less painful, way to make the passengers know about what to do in an emergency. That first night was open-sitting, so the service and the food was not the best.

FOOD: The lines at the buffet for breakfast were so long, so we went to the restaurant to order from a "la carta" menu. The menu is the same all week, but you avoid the lines at the buffet. The "make to the order" omelettes were good, but the cheese they use in it is not from the better quality. Some other days we went to the buffet for breakfast, and there is a huge variety. For lunch you have lots of possibilities at buffet and different stations: pizza, sandwiches, hot dog and hamburgers, oriental food, and sushi. At night the food at the restaurant is REALLY DELICIOUS, as the desserts (special mention to french onion.

SERVICE: This should improve. Do not expect the waiters or other staff calling you by your name. The service is not this personal. They just do a wonderful job, but don't go the extra-mile.

ENTERTAINMENT: The shows and the dancers at the theater are great, specially VROOM. The latin comedian is great and so funny, as the magician show. They do some other activities in the night, as the Mardi Gras, the latin-night (with a small mexican buffet), and the pajamas night...all of them at the pool area. The cruise director is new I think, he is a young man named Karl with a K, I think he is funny and accessible. The other guy Carlos, a mexican who makes de entertainment and announcements for spanish speakers is nice too.

CAMP CARNIVAL: My girls of 8 and 10 years old, just LOVE IT. They have so many funny activities. My girls usually goes during the afternoon and in the nights. In the afternoon is 1:00 pm to 5:00 pm. In the nights at 6:00 pm the kids met the carnival camp staff in the buffet area (2nd floor) and continue with them through 10:00 pm. After 10:00 pm they charge you $6.00 for the first kid, $4.00 for the second kid, this per hour. Is a good opportunity for the kids to met some friends of their ages, and to parents to have some time alone. You can let your kids in the camp its so secure and safe for your kids. And for parents with kids who only speaks spanish, some of their staff is bilingual, from Mexico or Peru.

PORTS OF CALL: A wonderful itinerary, but we have already visit this islands. In St. Thomas we just went out of the cruise to the Belgian Chocolate Factory. In Antigua we went to Jolly Beach, a BEAUTIFUL beach, and have a great time. In St. Kitts we make a taxi tour through the island and finish in Timothy Beach. The beach is so rocky, but anyway we have a great time doing the banana-boat..so fun!

POOLS: The slide is fun, in the hour of 12:00 m to 5:00 pm. The pools looks a little old, I think they need new and modern ones. They are small, and just three pools in all the cruise.

To finish I should say that we have a wonderful time in the cruise, and expect you to like and enjoy it too, as well as your time in Puerto Rico. If you have any questions or comments, please write me in english or spanish to ralip28@yahoo.com

Publication Date: 01/15/09