Maasdam 4

ricok987
Member Since 2007
143 Forum Posts

Overall Member Rating

Cruised on the Maasdam on January 2, 2009. 4 days into the cruise a code red was issued. Obviously, this impacted the overall cruise experience, but, since I did not come down with GI Virus I would think the steps taken by the ship were in my best interest.

Embarkation -4 Was on the ship and eating lunch on the lido before 12 noon, and was even able to drop my carryons in my stateroom!

Stateroom -3 I had a room with 2 portholes, queen bed, shower. The bed was comfortable, but the hot water in the sink and shower were frustrating to control. Note-did not have a/c problems

Food -4 Dined in Lido, Rotterdam Dining Room, and had Room Service. Was satisfied with Dining Room, and Lino, but had a few problems with room service not bringing all items ordered. Was able to fix because they made a courtesy call after food was delivered. Note: because of smaller size of ship lines on Lido for food were shorter and moved quickly. Note: During code red More guests are not allowed to serve themselves anything at all on Lido, and in the Dining room there is no salt or pepper on tables.

Activities/Shows -3 HAL tries to be more low key when it comes to force feeding you events/activities. I was not overly impressed with entertainment but felt it was not overtly bad either.

Ports of Call -4 Grand Turk, San Juan, Puerto Rico, St. Thomas, and Half Moon Cay. If you enjoy beaches this would be a good itinerary for you as 3/4 of the stops offer superb beach options.

Debarkation -4 I did the self check out so I was off the ship by 7:30 AM. Can't beat that.

Overall Experience -4 Although the ship was code red for 3 out of 7 days I felt I still managed to eat a ton of food, have fun, and not get sick. I would sail the Maasdam again, and recommended to others. Less

Maasdam Cruises to the Eastern Caribbean

Overall Ratings

Sail Date: January 2009
Family & Children
Rates
Value for Money

Cabin review: Large Ocean-View Stateroom

G502
Porthole glass needed replacement-was scratched which made visability more difficult. Hot water in bathroom did not operate properly-too hot!

Still needs work from last year's hurricane damage
Read 1340 Grand Turk Reviews

Not Nassau-Half Moon Cay. Great beach, lots of activities, bbq, -1 point because the stop is too short. we had to board by 2:30 pm. Wished it was an hour or 2 longer.
Read 4034 Nassau Reviews

Very crowded/busy city/port. Did the Bacardi Tour-do not reccommend.
Read 2237 San Juan Reviews

Went to Megan's Beach and recommended. Very busy/crowded port area.
Read 3390 St. Thomas Reviews

Published 01/14/09

Read Cruise Critic's Maasdam Review

Maasdam Cruises to the Eastern Caribbean

Share feedback
Thank you!  Cruise Critic values your feedback.
How can we improve this page?