Norwegian Star Cruise Review by WayneWoman: 2009 on the NCL Star

2009 on the NCL Star

Sail Date: December 2008
Destination: Mexican Riviera
Embarkation: Los Angeles

Cruised with seven family members (5 adults, 2 kids).Took our van to cruise port. Lots of parking. Cost about $12. a day. Learned from previous cruises that it is best to get to port early. Arrived about 11:30 AM. Embarkation was efficient. Got in Latitudes member line. Staff was even giving out free soup in paper cups. Free champagne as you got on board. Went to lunch in main dining room (Versailles).Cabin was ready. Our steward was just okay. Disappointed that he never made us any towel animals (We were traveling with 2 kids.)

Weather on this cruise was just okay. Could have been warmer for swimming. Days going to and from LA were cool. Advise bringing a sweatshirt/jacket. Also, public rooms on ship were cool and we regretted not bringing more long sleeved clothing.

Food: As always, very good. They try to honor any requests that you may have. Ate in main dining rooms (Versailles & Aqua),grill on pool deck, Market Cafe'(buffet), and two specialty restaurants. More Cagney's Steak House-good but didn't think the additional charge for crab legs was worth it. Endless Summer (Mexican) was worth the $10./adults, $5./kids was a good value. They bring guacamole'/salsa/chips to table and the kids loved it. Try the dessert sundae (something with candied fruit it was delicious). We also used room service for the kids early morning breakfasts.

Shows: Very good. Get there 15-20 minutes before because they are always crowded. Almost didn't get a seat on last night for the Chinese acrobatic show. Ports: Had been to Los Cabos & Puerta Vallarta before so I was interested in seeing Mazatlan. We all got off ship and a woman approached us about going on a timeshare presentation to a new upscale resort for the day. At first, we weren't too interested but then,it sounded appealing because we wanted to take the kids to a nice beach so we agreed. Turned out to be a good deal. Forgot the name of the resort but it was beautiful. My daughter & son-in-law, and two kids got $150. in resort food credit and I got $50. cash (as a single person). The presentation was not pushy and we enjoyed walking through the beautiful grounds, the kids swam in the pool and ocean, and we enjoyed a fantastic meal/drinks on them.Didn't buy anything.

Casino-I'm a big casino person and love to play slots. Played every night with the NCL player's card. On the last night, I inquired to see if I got enough points to get a credit on my cabin charges. NO! You needed 25 pts. and I only had 24pts. Was on my way to the show so I couldn't spend any more time in the casino. Also, casino is very smoky and I didn't like that.

Kids Center-My toddler grandson was very hesitant about going into the playroom. They don't allow the parent to go in. The woman at the front door didn't even smile at him or say a word to engage him. Did not appear very child friendly. Maybe less kids was less work for her. Movies-nice theater-a few movies a day-My only suggestion is to have more G rated movies during the day when it is too cool for the kids to swim. Library-excellent choices of books, crossword puzzles, coffee, tea. Game-fun games for adults & kids. Would probably go on NCL again but might consider flying to Florida or the Caribbean since it is more guaranteed that you will have warm weather. Less

Read more Norwegian Star cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Norwegian Star Review >>

Cabin review: Norwegian Star 9220

Comfy beds. Child safety locks on balcony doors.

Went to an upscale timeshare hotel. Nice and they weren't aggressive. Was not impressed with town as we drove through to get to hotel.
Read 290 Mazatlan Reviews