MSC Lirica Cruise Review by fvfv: Italian Cruise Catering to Italians

Family & Children 1.0

Compare Prices on MSC Lirica Western Caribbean Cruises

Italian Cruise Catering to Italians

Sail Date: December 2008

If I took this cruise in Rome, I would understand the low quality of service. After all it would be in Italy by italians. But I boarded on Ft Lauderdale, USA.

You know you are in trouble if the front desk and reservations people don't understand what you are saying. It is standard on all other cruises to have non-english speaking people on the restaurants or the cabin service, but to have to explain 2 or 3 times to front desk personnel is ridiculous.

I cannot give a 0 rating to service, so I'll have to give it a High 1.

So now to the detail.

We are Miami locals so did not have to stay on a hotel. IT was 2 adults 2 children on my party.

StateRoom: Pretty small. but that's ok.

Ship Info: One of the smallest we have taken, but that might be an advantage as going from place to place is pretty fast.

Dining: Average at best. I cannot complain about our waiter, Silvio from Romania. Very nice and More accommodating. He earned his tip. We had second seating which is OK. Schedules for restaurants are not compatible with port schedules, meaning that by the time you come back from the port all restaurants are closed and the only choice you have is stalled hard hamburgers and hot dogs. This does not happen on other cruises where the buffet restaurant closes at 4:00 instead of 2:30.

Activities: Average. Again, This is for Italian people. All singers, pianists, guitar players, etc are Italian so you will get an italian experience.

Children's Club. My 11 year old did it only once. He decided to skip it the rest of the nights. But he belongs to the dysfunctional generation of the 90's where the only brain activity that seems to be used is reflected on their fingers, either with a stupid cell phone or on an XBOX360 controller. Last cruise I am taking with my kids, that's for sure.

Staff and Service: The only person that I found accommodating was our waiter. In the stateroom I would have to call for Ice more that 3 times to get it to my room. The cleaning lady had no clue how to get things for us like when our bathroom did not flush for about 8 hours and she had me called 3 times the Italians in the front desk because she did not understand what Flush is. (Neither did the Italian for that matter).

Entertainment: Italian average at best.

Shore Excursions: Did not take any, but the schedules are horrible. If We have to sail all day from Dominican Republic to Ft Lauderdale. I do not understand why they have to leave a 3:00 pm and cut all port times to nothing. The same with Key West. All ports were nice. But very short. In 2 ports we could not dock on the port so they have to use little boats to carry passengers which cut the port time at least 1:30 Hour.

Disembarkation: This is another thing where the italians shine. We left ft lauderdale from terminal 4 and came back to Ft lauderdale on terminal 22. It is about 2.5 miles from the parking lot on terminal 4. This little cramped bus takes you to terminal 4 and you can imagine if you have 6 or more luggage pieces how fun is that. They said the first luggage color would be called around 7:45 am. The first was actually called around 9:30 am. We were ready at 8:00 am and departed the ship around 11:00 am. Again a High 1 on organization for the italians.

Summary: Leave the italians for Italy. Less

Read more MSC Lirica cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's MSC Lirica Review >>

Cabin review: MSC Lirica 7050

(5.5)
My favorite port. We did the Sailing with the dolphins on our own. Very nice.
Read 3120 Cozumel Reviews

We stayed on the beach, very nice white beach.

Nice town. Lots of things to do.
Read 738 Key West Reviews