Carnival Spirit Cruise Review by cordellahh

Cruise Date: November 2008
Embarkation: San Diego
Destination: Mexican Riviera
Cabin Category: 52
See More About: Carnival Spirit Cruise Reviews | Mexican Riviera Cruise Reviews | Carnival Cruise Deals
Member Rating   5+ out of 5+
Entertainment 5+
Value-for-Money 5+
Rates 5+

A Very Spirited Cruise
I Got on a Jet Blue Flight out of JFk at 8am headed to San Diego. The flight went smoothly we got to San Diego 25 Minutes Earlier than Scheduled. I got off the plane went to baggage claims got my bags and immediately saw the Carnival Representatives. I gave my name, they took my bags, I got on the bus which was comfortably air conditioned, the bus stopped twice to pick up more passengers and within 20 minutes the bus pulls up at the cruise terminal. When we got to the port of San Diego I immediately noticed the USS Midway Aircraft Carrier Museum on my left, Carnival Triumph in the middle and the Maritime Museum on my right. I told myself I am going to check out the Aircraft Carrier before I set sail on my cruise. The bus pulled into the terminal and stopped and the representative called my name and two other people to get off the bus. I am now wondering why am I being called off the bus with these people while everyone else gets to stay on. I got off the bus along with the other two people and was immediately shuttled inside the terminal by another representative, now I'm getting real skeptical, we're asking each other why we were called off the bus while everyone else drove further down into the terminal. We were taken immediately through the security check point and to the counter. Five minutes later I was being told "Bon Voyage proceed to the stair case to your left. I did as I was told and then realized that I am boarding the ship. So much for touring the museum. I then found out that the reason for the covert disembarkation from the shuttle bus is because we were the only ones who completed the Fun Pass in it's entirety and paid for the transfer bus vouchers online. I have to say it sure felt good stepping off the plane, claiming my bags and being on the ship within 35 minutes.

I got on the ship and immediately I was in vacation mode. I took my bags to my cabin and then hit the Lido deck for some lunch and to take in the sights and sounds of the port. There is a pirate ship on the port side of the ship that actually have a real working cannon. The steel band got started at about 1:30pm and that really got everyone in the mood for the Vacation of A Lifetime. There were a number of different tours going on, tours of the Gym, Spa and of course the ship. We set sail at about 4PM and got on deck for the mandatory life boat drill. While doing so, we were being entertained by the folks on the boats in the San Diego Bay. That ship I mentioned before with the real working cannons sounded off a couple of Bon Voyage rounds for us. As we proceed to the Sailaway Party on Lido Deck the Port of San Diego faded on the horizon. As we settle in there was Dinner, Karaoke, Adult Disco, Piano Sing Along, Classical Music, Good Time Music, Live Dance Music, Casino Lessons, Game Show Mania, Family Meet and Greet, Children's Meet and Greet, Singles Gathering and the Main Show at 10:30PM. I stopped by as many of the above listed as I could then retired to bed about 2AM.

Saturday is a Fun Day at Sea Day. There are just so many things to choose from to do. There's the sunrise stretch class at 7:30AM I think not I am on vacation, I had breakfast, played mini golf, participated in Broadway Show Tunes Trivia, stopped by the Chicken Olympics (very funny indeed), Passed by the Ice Carving Demo, participated in the Slot Tournament then went and got dressed for the Captain's Cocktail Party. Tonight is the First Formal Night. After the party I took as many pictures as they asked me to pose for, then I went to dinner in the Empire Restaurant and then went to the Pharaoh's Lounge for the High Spirit's show starring Rudy Lowe(OMG he can sing)and Carley Bailey. After that show, I stayed for the R Rated Comedy of Paul Lyons. That was ah alright. Then I went down to the Versailles Lounge and caught the last set of Music in Motion a live band that does dance music. (They are the best, Maria the Drummer is worth the price of the entire cruise. The Guitarist can play 'Free Bird' & 'Stairway to Heaven' as if he was the original Guitarist when the songs was first released.) After that I went to the Disco and partied until about 3AM then I retired to my cabin, went on the balcony and enjoyed the serenity of the ocean then I called it a night.

Sunday the second Fun Day at Sea another fun filled day. I participated in a dance class, enjoyed the steel band, did some shopping, attended the Newly Wed Game, Karaoke, Music Jam Session, attended the Comedy Show and went down to the Versailles Lounge Partied with the live band, then went to the Disco and tried to dance to everything the DJ threw my way. Retired to bed about 2AM.

Monday Arrived in Acapulco about 12PM. Was happy to see land after 2 days of sailing. I was a little taken aback by the way the cab drivers come at you to offer tours. I am in vacation mode, don't want to be rushed and hassled. I decided to do a walking tour with a quiet guide that did not rush at me but waited for me to take my time and hear what he was offering. We walked through the town, the local market, and to where the cliff divers were. We got there just in time for the afternoon dive. Got great pictures, bought some jewelry grabbed a cool drink and headed back down the hill and walked to the beach. On my way back from the beach saw this lady manhandling a 6 foot long fish with a machete. bought some more souvenirs and head back to the ship. I ate took a nap and then was ready for the night scene at about 8pm. I attended the show, partied in the Versailles Lounge and then the Disco. Retired to bed about 1:30AM

Tuesday Arrived in Zihuatanejo/Ixtapa got on the tender boat (which was actually the ship's life boat that was cool to be riding in the life boat without an emergency)and hit the beach. I walked the entire walkway and was amazed at the vast array of colorful shells and fish that was visible to the naked eyes. I saw a fish that except for it's eyes was totally transparent. I actually caught a few in a cup. This was amazing to me. I shopped some more and had lunch then head back to the ship. My night life imitated that of the previous night the main show featured Ned Rifken and was entitled 'Singin with the Big Band. That was fun. I retired to bed about 2AM.

Wednesday Arrived in Manzanillo. I did the ATV/Zipline Tour with Ventana Tours, it was amazing. The Terrain was to die for and the beach section was the most pristine piece of beach I've seen in a while. I was able to do maximum speed on the beach and the tour was just the best. The tour guides were great, it wasn't the usual ride in a line behind everyone else tour. The Zipline was great. I've ziplined through the forest but never across the ocean that provided an extra rush of adrenaline for me. I got back to the ship tired and spent of all my energy. I went into the hot tub to see if it would help and it did. then I retired to bed for a little then woke up for dinner and my night time activities. Tonight I added a little casino action. Tonight's show was Rhythm & Blues with the Voice from Heaven in the form of Rudy Lowe and the hilarious comedy of Merl Hobbs. I also partied under the stars on Lido deck with Music Motions. By the time this night was over for me it was about 2:30AM

Thursday Fun Day at Sea. The realization hits that the cruise is winding down and we are heading back home. Elegant night #2. Tried to read one of the 5 books I brought on board just in case I got bored. That did not happen because it was so much to see and do. I scheduled an hour at the spa, did some more shopping, there's always a sale the last 2 days of the cruise. Played Bingo, Went to Ship Life Q & A with the hilarious duo in the form of Kirk Benning (Cruise Director) and Noonan (Assistant Cruise Director). I had dinner and posed for more pictures and then went down to the Versailles Lounge and rocked out to Sweet Home Alabama, Free Bird, Stairway to Heaven, Brick House, September, Rolling on the River, I will Survive and a few others. Partied in the Disco until about 1:30am.

Friday Last Fun Day at Sea The daunting task of packing and the realization that I am heading back to the rat race of Corporate America is less than thrilling. I got through packing and headed up to lido hung with the steel band for a while then I stopped at all the favorite hot spots on the ship, and tried to use up all my internet minutes print my return boarding pass etc. Hit the casino then sat down for the Carnival Legends Show. This is where vacationers take to the stage with the professional dancers for backup. There was a James Brown, Madonna, Elvis, Aretha Franklin, Britney Spears and Frank Sinatra. After the show Partied in the Versailles Lounge one last time and stopped by the disco one last time then head on to bed at about 11:45 PM.

My cabin was always in immaculate shape, The recreation crew did a morning show that was aired every morning on Chanel 17 (that was funny to an extent), the food was great the company on the ship was great(did I mention I did this cruise alone). The crew was great and overall it was a great cruise. I enjoyed all the on deck activities and the night life was just what the doctor ordered for me. The cruise director mentioned that there was 750 kids on board, I only saw a few so I guess Camp Carnival was providing some good entertainment for the youngsters. The dining room staff was great. I like the shows the waiters put on it's a blast. This was my third cruise and I guess the third time is the charm!!!!!.

Publication Date: 01/04/09