Celebrity Summit Cruise Review by family_of_cruisers: Cruising with a 2 1/2 and 8 month old

family_of_cruisers
Member Since 2008

Family & Children 1.0

Compare Prices on Celebrity Summit Southern Caribbean Cruises

Cruising with a 2 1/2 and 8 month old

Sail Date: December 2008
Destination: Southern Caribbean
Embarkation: San Juan

Thanks to everyone who takes the time to write a review, it helps a lot.

My wife and I love cruising, although we are a little more restrictive now with two kids. Travelling with small children puts a whole different dimension to cruising. Kids that aren't potty trained are restricted from the pools, which makes sense. I think all parents should respect that, even if the staff are too reserve to mention it. I filled up the tub with water and put water shoes on the 2.5 year old and let the 8 month splash around in the sink. I've read some posting suggesting a inflatable pool.

Back to the ship, beautiful ship, don't expect to have the facilities that the Royal Caribbean ships have. People cruise on Celebrity for a different experience, I choose Celebrity the last two times for the food. Unfortunately, the food was very good but not outstanding on the Summit. Service was again efficient but not outstanding except for our butler Manual.

A little disappointed More with the fun factory, my wife tried it once and they didn't really have toys for the under 3 year and she was turned off because they basically showed you the room and closed the door. Under 3 and not potty-trained children can only use the fun factory with their parents, which is fine but the staff could be a little more welcoming. They look disinterested and I wonder how they would handle 400 children on the Christmas cruise. Actually with a smaller area Celebrity Century Fun Factory is a definite 5+ but it's probably due to the center manager. The other crew on the Summit made up for the fun factory, from the captain down to the cleaning lady outside the dining room who would smile at our kids as they pass. Special thanks to the retail staff, especially Tam (sp?) who would stop and say hello to the kids, you know it doesn't take much to make a kid's day.

There's almost too many port days on this cruise, although we appreciated the less travelled route. You would be wishing for a sea day in the middle of the cruise, instead of at the end of the cruise to enjoy the ship. Excursions (scuba diving for me) were all well run but of course about double what you would pay if you arrange it yourself. A few of the ports we were a little rush, especially if you tend to spend 4-5 hours out on the water. Never made it to the cruise critic get together because it was on the first port day before disembarkation, but what can you do with a 5 straight days of port.

Yes, they did seem to have a few rude people on this cruise, but not enough to ruin your enjoyment. Another cruise, also out of SJ, I remember fellow cruisers let their kids loose well pass midnight, which is an issue for the parents and not the kids.

Overall, I would say it was a good cruise, definitely recommend if for the first timer. It's either we are jaded or with the kids now, but it just didn't have the wow factor. For us you either need outstanding food, great facilities or great service, which again Summit was good but not outstanding in each of our categories. We probably try either Princess again or possible Celebrity's new ship, Solstice. For the young parents (or should I say parents with young kids), I heard that RC new Oasis (sp?) will have a nursery and will be taking care of 1+. Less

Read more Celebrity Summit cruise reviews >>