Carnival Conquest Cruise Review by Bunnygal: Exceeded Expectations

Compare Prices on Carnival Conquest Western Caribbean Cruises

Exceeded Expectations

Sail Date: December 2008
Embarkation: Galveston

Houston/Galveston - One important thing that you must be aware of if you are flying in is that Hobby is MUCH closer to Galveston than Bush International Airport. Also, all rental care agencies are not open on Sunday in Galveston. The problem with this is if you fly in the day before you have to figure out how to get to the port. If you rent a car for a Sunday departure cruise (Conquest), you then have to rent the car for 2 days and leave it in the parking lot of the rental agency - then have a taxi meet you there and pay to get to the port. We ended up renting a car at the airport, spending the night in Galveston in a hotel that offered free parking and keeping the car there while we sailed. We then had to taxi to the port from the hotel and taxi back to the hotel afterwards. We stayed in Houston on that day and returned the car to the airport before our flight. The cost of renting a car for one week was the same as the $40 per person cost for a one way shuttle ticket to Galveston and More the cost of a car for the day before and day after. I highly suggest that you spend some time figuring out what to do before and afterwards in regards to transportation if you are not driving to the port. The two nights in a hotel and rental cost us over $400.

Embarkation - Galveston has the strangest method that I have ever experienced. We arrived around noon to check in and then were placed in a holding area line that snaked around and around within the port area. We were there at least a half hour at a standstill. We then waited in the line to get our picture taken and to board. I have departed out of Vancouver, Port Canaveral and Miami before and have never experienced this.

Food - I think the food on Carnival ships is pretty good. I think your feelings about this really has to do with how you eat at home. For our family, a night at TGIFriday's is a nice night out. We have gone to fancier places, but don't often go due to the cost. My expectation is for something better than a chain restaurant, but don't expect high priced dining when over a thousand people are being served. I have never had anything I didn't like at all and you can always send things back and try something else. If you are a ribs lover you have to order them. They are offered on two nights on the alternative dining menu. You get a ton and the meat falls off the bone. They are some of the best I have ever had. My favorite dish was a vegetarian meal (I am not a vegetarian and have never ordered one before so this says a lot!). It was the Phyllo pouches. It was filled with beans and corn and the sauce was amazing. I highly recommend it for someone who likes southwest egg rolls. The filling is very similar and the phyllo dough is somewhat like a wonton.

We never at breakfast in the dining room. The buffet choices were more than adequate. The omelet line is always lone so best to have one person wait while the other rounds up the drinks and other food items. You can order eggs at the station as well. We went to the dining room once for lunch and it was all right - wouldn't bother going again probably. The grill and buffet were fine on the other days. We always ate in the dining room for dinner and enjoyed ice cream and pizza quite often over the course of the week. Remember that a pizza can be ordered if you are willing to wait about 15 minutes. It is worth it if you are picky and don't want what is hot at the moment.

Service - Excellent! Everyone went out of their way and made our trip great. We really enjoyed our dining room waitress. She was from Bulgaria and her husband worked as a waiter in the same dining room. She was behind one night and he came up to help her. They were really cute together. Less

Read more Carnival Conquest cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Carnival Conquest Review >>

Cabin review: Carnival Conquest Balcony Lido 9261

This was our first balcony and I loved it. I'm not sure if I would pay for a balcony again (the cost of this room was less than an inside 2 years ago on the Liberty), but would most likely try an oceanview over an inside after experiencing a balcony. The room had ample space and having a couch was really nice. It gave us a place to sit and relax if we weren't on the balcony. Our room, 9261, was close to the elevators and we wouldn't choose this area again. The ding of the incoming elevators was annoying at times.

In Cozumel we chose to go off on our own. We had a private taxi who took us on an island tour and to see the Mayan Ruins. You have to pay extra for the ruins so be prepared. He took us where we wanted to go and we could stay as long as we wanted. It was $80 for the two of us and we were with him for about 4 hours.

Read 3121 Cozumel Reviews

We did a Ray/Reefs and Rum Beach tour with our cruise critic group in Grand Cayman. The weather was wonderful and we had a great time. Our group booked directly with NativeWay and they charged us each $52.50. It was a great deal since it also included our lunch at the beach. The food was great as well.

In Jamaica we did the ATV Jungle Safari. It was a great experience and since my husband and I have never been on an ATV before it was extra special. Our driver dropped us off at the shopping center afterwards and we taxi'd back to the ship after shopping. Prices for Appleton Rum and other alcohol was actually cheaper at the duty free shops at the port and on the ship so check out those before purchasing.