Celebrity Summit Cruise Review by paperclips

Celebrity Summit
Member Name: paperclips
Cruise Date: December 2008
Embarkation: San Juan
See More About: Celebrity Summit Cruise Reviews | Eastern Caribbean Cruise Reviews | Celebrity Cruise Deals

Summit - an escape from the cold
What a fabulous cruise! And a great port-of-call itinerary! Leaving San Juan, ship goes to Philipsburg, St Maarten; Roseau, Dominica; St. George's Grenada; Kralendijk, Bonaire; Oranjestad, Aruba and last day at sea.

The cruise and crew were outstanding!

The check in on Saturday was long. Between 1 ½ - 2 hrs before I set foot on the ship. So patience is a very must. I got to the pier about 1:30 p.m., about 20 min from the airport.

One tiny disappointment. I wanted to go to the singles get-together (wished it was the second night) but missed it. I didn't read the itinerary thoroughly plus being the first night after a long day coming from Toronto, squeezing a quick walk around Old San Juan with what little daylight I had left then coming back to unpacked, and also at 10:15 that night it was mandatory to participate in the lifeboat drill (well, I'm sure not everyone did but for your benefit you should!). I was beat.

I only chose two excursions to the islands I've never been before (Dominica, Bonaire) and both were good.

I skipped the shows in the evening except a comedian and a magician/comedian. The entertainment staff were good, however, I just found it was the same rig a ma roll like on other ships, more Americanized. It would be nice to see more international flare.

There was entertainment at night, whether it is a small band playing at Rendezvous Lounge before dinner, the main show in Celebrity Theater, or piano player in Michaels Club, something by the pool about 10:30, or the late nite disco.

Kelby, from Cape Town, served a great martini every night. I let him choose what to make. I opted out going to the Martini Room as I'd rather sit outside. Being from Canada I get enough cold plus I don't like air conditioning and relish to sit outside all the time. Plus the aft deck 10 was never too windy to sit outside. Kelby's martinis were roughly 3 dollars cheaper since they were served in plastic glass which I didn't care.

The dinner and waiters at the the Cosmopolitan restaurant were good. My dinner companions were ok (there were 3). Two of them couldn't speak English and I sadly can't speak Spanish plus it's just not that but I didn't feel any clicking. I heard one couple had a table with some single people I wished I had something like that as everyone clicked the first night. But the only thing the couple did enjoy was their dinner and wasn't fussy on the cruise itself. Can't win 'em all, eh?

The buffets at the Watergrill Cafe were good. Sometimes I ate at the Aqua Cafe for breakfast with a more liter flare (fruits, different breads, cereal, yoghurt). You had to hit the Watergrill Cafe at a right time to avoid line up. But what does one expect with over 2,200 guests aboard a 91,000 ton ship. At the Watergrill Cafe, they also have Asian breakfast. One afternoon I had Vietnamese noodles, yummy!!!!!!!!

To work off the food, they have excellent gym facilities in front of the ship. I made quick workout on the weights. I wanted to get outside, so I decided to walk around the ship on the top deck rather than use the trend mill.

The chairs by the pool had nice cushions on. But I opted to sit elsewhere to get away from the noise (especially when music started or band playing) and found a perfect breezy spot in front of the ship.

The cabin stewards were fantastic. I mentioned the safe wasn't working and he had it fixed when I came back from my quick jaunt to Old San Juan. I didn't even notice a tile loose in my shower but got a knock on the door if they could come in and fix it. I got a window cabin but never asked for it. It was nice though to wake up to light.

Sadly it was time to disembark. That was done with ease. You are given a color tag to be place on your luggage plus a letter stating the time and place to meet in the morning. Bags must be out last night by 11 p.m. so make sure you have clothing needed for disembarkation next day plus DO NOT PACK passport, air tickets, medicines needed and anything other important items.

I enjoyed the Celebrity cruise and I'm thinking would like to try maybe Galaxy that has a little longer cruise. 7 days is just not enough! But for me what holiday is?

Publication Date: 12/28/08