Disney Magic Cruise Review by Ngilly

Member Name: Ngilly
Cruise Date: October 2008
Embarkation: Port Canaveral
Cabin Category: 11C
See More About: Disney Magic Cruise Reviews | Western Caribbean Cruise Reviews | Disney Cruise Deals
Public Rooms 5+
Entertainment 5+
Spa & Fitness 5+

Ship Facts: Disney Magic Review (by Cruise Critic!) | Disney Magic Deck Plans
Disney Magic Sparkles
Our Disney cruise before Halloween was a week of relaxation, laughter and pure disney joy. During one of the days on the sea I caught a ship tour learning about the design and decor of the Magic. I appreciated the crew staff's thorough knowledge about each painting and interior choice for the ship's decoration. They reviewed the color palate and intent to keep the Disney line in the Art Deco, Art Nouveau tradition. Then they explained that the Magic had very recently come out of Dry dock where every surface was repainted and all carpets were replaced. The cabins were upgraded to include new flat screen TV's and bed linens including the bedspreads. Also included in the upgrade were safety features to the engineering and of course the necessary repairs. It looked like a new ship.

This is our second cruise on the Magic. We have enjoyed every minute both times. When I recommend Disney to my friends I highlight four things. In no particular order here they are:

1) Though I enjoy Disney, initially I was leary of the Disney product 24-7. I feared that it would be overwhelmingly Disney world-ish. Each time I cruise I'm pleased that there is a balance of Mickey and the gang, and other themes like Caribbean or sports etc. In the cabin hallways Disney music is constantly playing but most of that is nostalgic and not overwhelming. But, I am constantly delighted when I see a small child with Goofy or any of the other characters. Call me sentimental but when Mickey and Minnie come out for formal night and he is dressed in top hat and tails, well I get choked up every time.

2) Disney is not pushing their alcoholic drinks all day every day. As a matter of fact, the fruity drinks that are carried on deck are non alcoholic until the guest is confirmed as an adult and then the staff adds a shot of rum.

3) Castaway Cay, Disney's island in the Bahamas. Very clean, good food, the adults only beach is very quiet and removed from the family or kids beaches. Love that the "Flying Dutchman" is permanently docked in the cove.

4) My husband and I treat our children to this cruise the year they graduate from High School. Disney is not just for young families. Our children are Junior and Sr. High School age. They enjoy the cruise and all say that the youth staff is great. The fact that there are nearly 300 young children on board does not bother them at all. Each year they love getting their picture taken with Chip and Dale at the "character" breakfast.

Our youngest graduates in 2011, we are excitedly making plans to cruise with Disney again.

Publication Date: 12/26/08