Celebrity Summit Cruise Review by 4divers: 90% Loved! 10% Ouch!

4divers
Member Since 2008

Compare Prices on Celebrity Summit Southern Caribbean Cruises

90% Loved! 10% Ouch!

Sail Date: December 2008
Destination: Southern Caribbean
Embarkation: San Juan

After extensive research on Cruise Critic prior to our cruise, I found most of the posts to be partially, if not all, valid. Spent a night prior to cruising in Old San juan. Stayed at the Sheraton and found the staff to be very kind, check-in was a flash and they upgraded us to a 7th fl. balcony. Even honored the hotels.com price that I showed at the front desk. $159.00 Great hotel to walk about and see Old San Juan. You canNOT walk to the pier from there though. Everything is a $20.00 cab ride. You could walk from the resort Marriott area which was about 1 mile and a half from the Panamerica pier. (wouldn't do it with a lot of luggage)

We arrived to board at noon and sat in chairs till 1:30. We are fairly patient people and it appeared to go smoothly. We were on the ship by 2. We did have our first encounter with some islanders who appeared to be angry and rude....I noticed the Celebrity staff having to verbally warn them to not cut in the lines.

Upon More boarding the ship, we found the staff to be FANTASTIC! In fact, for the entire cruise. From wait staff to floor cleaners to railing wipers. They all smiled when you smiled and greeted you eagerly. We never had a complaint on our cruise so I don't know how negativity would have been handled.

The ship was easy to navigate, well marked. I could see how some would complain that the carpets were warn or there was some wear and tear, but get a life! Who sits in their room on a cruise? T.V. was a little outdated, but who watches T.V. on a cruise? Room was slightly larger than NCL, balcony slightly smaller. Room attendant Jose was great.

Meals were better than NCL, although I found it tough eating at the late seating. Too late.(Liked NCL's freestyle eating) Loved the creme brulee and other desserts. I found the buffets to be better than Golden Corral's. We did not frequent them because they seemed to be the gathering place for the islanders. They would actually throw their small pieces of trash right into the buffet area as they stood in line. Rudely elbow you out of the way, never saying "excuse me". Cutting in line and even hoarding food like sugar packets and baked goods in their pockets.

The ports were GREAT and the fact that you were docked at each was SUPER! The only port with aggressive people was grenada, be firm with NO and they were very respectful. We never did an excursion, just walked the islands and found our own diving, never had a problem. Keep in mind I am an x-cop and my husband is a firefighter.

Overall, compared to especially Carnival, NCL, RCI, we found Celebrity to be well above average. The ONLY reason we may not do Celebrity again is that evidently when a ship does not fill out of San Juan, they open the rooms very cheaply to Puerto Rican residents. Being of latino decent myself I was appalled at the rudeness. Especially being rude to the staff. Half way through the cruise I refused to step aside in the halls as they did and rather enjoyed crashing into a few. They also thought nothing of disrupting a cruise event like ice carving. The staff handled it admirably, however, security should have. MANY older cruisers informed us that they would never book this ship again.

Sad that one group of rude people could cast a shadow on a GREAT cruise. And it was! Less

Read more Celebrity Summit cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Celebrity Summit Review >>

Cabin review: Celebrity Summit 7094

7094 Ample room space. Decent closet space. Bathroom layed out nicely, very clean. Balcony slightly smaller than our others and on one side had a frosted semi private glass, metal private on the other. Didn't like that. Eventually should update room carpet and tv. Great for us. Bed great size for 6' people. Excellent location on ship. Very quiet, probably because we had quiet neighbors. Being on the starboard side of the Summit we faced away from the islands while in port.

Has a lot of everything. Tons of water sports if you like that stuff. Tons of shopping (You won't get any deals here though). Beautiful beaches, full of people in some areas and a little further down, privacy. I was pleasantly surprised with the great dive we had with Red Sail Sports. One tank dive on the Antilles, Great! 60' depth max. $49.00.
Read 681 Aruba Reviews

Safe, quiet, laid back town. Nothing beats the easy diving. Have your fish I.D. books ready because you'll see it all here. Although I rarely eat away from the ship, we did eat at Cactus Blue one street away from the cruise ship pier. The Tuna Sashimi will knock your socks off. Not alot of shopping or sight seeing, just a great dive and eats island. Lac Bay on the opposite side of the island is picture perfect and one of the best places in the world to wind surf.
Read 238 Bonaire Reviews

Loved the scuba dives with All-Dive. Almost as good as Bonaire. Sadly, the dive shop is under repair because of the last hurricane. Tough getting on and off the boat, dives and staff made up for it though. Didn't hear any raving reviews of the rainforest excursions, just lots of wet muddy people. Beautiful island.
Read 491 Dominica Reviews

People very aggressive, to the point of making you uncomfortable. They would follow you trying to sell you stuff. I will say that even though we told them no, they were respectful. We walked up the steep city streets and down to the busy waterfront city area. Great walking city and make sure you walk along the water front. Every kind of juvenile fish can be seen by just looking down the small cement walls as you walk.
Read 355 Grenada Reviews

If you like to shop, its a 5. We went to several dive shops and nothing decent was available unless you were there by 8am. We arrived at 10. Don't trust the words of the information staff that swarms you. They are trying to fill their taxis. We were told we needed to go to Divi Resort for the good diving. Upon arrival they laughed and told us they have never had a dive facility there. We walked to dive shops and shopping from the ship.