Norwegian Sky Cruise Review by MclovinNFriends: Great Deal, Good Times & Lots of Karaoke!

MclovinNFriends
Member Since 2008

Compare Prices on Norwegian Sky Bahamas Cruises

Great Deal, Good Times & Lots of Karaoke!

Sail Date: December 2008
Destination: Bahamas

This was the first cruise my friend and I have ever been on. After reading almost all of the reviews on here I set my standards pretty low and still had no idea what I was walking into.

Embarkation: It was pretty simple, quick and easy. As we walked on we grabbed our complimentary champagne and went to our stateroom. It turns out that we ended up getting a handicap room and it was ready when we go on the ship at 12:30! We dropped our carryons in our closet and decided to walk around.

Pool: When we got on the ship, I had an idea to wear my bathing suit as I read on here that they sometimes take a while to get the luggage to the rooms. They have a deal on the ship, 6 Coronas (in football helmet buckets) for $22 (plus taxes and the automatic gratuity that is added onto everything you buy with your cards). It seemed as though as we were one of the first to embark that all of the waiters wanted to hound us all crazy. It was kind of annoying at first but we kept the same More waiter the rest of our first day (ask for M&M, hes the man!). They do however, sometimes take a $5 deposit on the football helmets which seems like a stupid way for them to make extra money. Get drunk and then not return it. However there were several occasions where there was no deposit period. Anyways, back to the pool. There are not enough lounge chairs so make sure to grab em if you see them or you'll end up on the top deck. The top isn't bad but there isn't as much room as down below, plus if you want pool access. Overall the hot tubs were always jam packed. There are a few scattered tubs on the upper deck area that are nicer than the 4 main. It seemed that the main attraction on the pool deck was the ice cream station which always had a line. Overall, the pool is a great spot to throw back a few beers, catch some sun and relax. It was pretty dead when at port, especially when the ship was docked at Nassau (for obvious reasons). It picks back up around 2 or 3pm so make sure to hurry back if you want chairs!

Food: The food was not that bad. We were out all night tearing up the dazzles dance floor and missed breakfast a few times. However, I did manage to always snag a bunch of the pineapple. Its probably the highlight of everything on that buffet. There is a little sandwich area right when you walk in the buffet area by the pool with little sandwich rollers. Not bad at all! The salad area and pasta station were both busy, and the pasta station definitely needs to be expanded (for the sake of the italianos!). Our group did not dine in any of the specialty restaurants but I heard they were nothing to complain or compliment about. The tortelini wasn't too bad, it seemed like people had mixed reviews about the Lobster (mostly good). Make sure to have a couple of the shrimp cocktails, they were definitely our groups favorite!

Staterooms: We were given a handicap room which was very good. It looked like we had a kingdom during our cruise! Obviously I'm kidding but it was a lot bigger than the other rooms we saw, shower and bathroom were 3 times the size. We did not tip our steward, which was stupid, but we did receive constant ice in our football helmets full of coronas consistently (and new limes too!). Next time we will flip em a 20 so we can get some towel animals. Thats one thing that would of been cool. Kind of fun to of collected them and had a towel animal zoo in our room by the end of the journey!

Casino: wasn't in there too much, not open during the day due to being at port. One guy while playing craps tried telling me what to bet on. I didn't ask his advice so I'm not sure why he tried to help me. It was funny watching him lose all his chips. I only won 40 but then lost it on roulette. Regardless, have fun with it but don't make a night of it.

Dazzles: Oh, so much to say about this place. So little time. After 10:30-11, this is where you want to be. Its a fun time if you have the right people around. All it is, is dancing, drinking and forming as many sweat stains on your dress shirts as possible. Its also the place that will be all over your bill when you check out on that Friday. If you are looking to meet a girl. Go here. If you are looking to meet a guy. Go here. If you are looking to act like a fool and dance your butt off, go here. It was people of all ages, so don't get scared if you are a bit older. All is welcome here. After many 4am nights and $12.49 red bull/vodkas, you wont forget this place either.

Gym/Fitness area: Was a decent size and easy to get on machines. If you plan on running on the treadmill, I would suggest going when the ship is NOT moving. After drinking 3 or 4 coronas, I had the bright idea of running 3 miles. Maybe it was me, but the incline kept changing as I was running. So 1 minute i was running downhill and the next minute uphill. Kind of made me a little sick so I really didn't work out after that. Good facility though and proves its purpose.

Karaoke: MCLOVIN & FRIENDS. Need I say more. Our friends and I had fun entertaining atleast ourselves with multiple "sober" renditions of "Ice Ice Baby", "Bye Bye Bye", & "Play that funky music". Also, if you want to meet girls/guys, go here and showoff your voice or lack of. Have fun with it, even though you will not sound as amazing as McLovin and Friends did.

Overall it was a great time, met some really fun people that I will be keeping in touch with. If you are looking for a fun cruise to get a good tan and let loose, this is the ship for you. If you are looking for luxury, well, I'm sure this ship has it too, I just didn't pay any attention to it. Less

Read more Norwegian Sky cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Norwegian Sky Review >>

Cabin review: Norwegian Sky 9318

Nassau was a great time. Make sure to check out the Atlantis and take a stroll. If you plan on going to the beach, TAKE A CAB from atlantis. It was a painful walk! Also, make sure to watch out for those jetskis. They tend to jump up and poke out your eye! Arghhh.

Read 2624 Nassau Reviews