Norwegian Sky Cruise Review by kurdav

Value-for-Money 5+
Rates 5+

Ship Facts: Norwegian Sky Review (by Cruise Critic!) | Norwegian Sky Deck Plans
Fabulous Vacation
Wow!! We definitely understand why people cruise now. It was so much fun and the service was wonderful. Let me first explain our traditional vacation consists of 4 of us in our pop up camper. We found the room size just perfect for us. We are glad we had 2 cabins so the boys had their space and we had ours. Plenty of storage space in closet once again we are used to packing for camping so we are conservative packers. The bathroom was small but not too small. It was very adequate. Shelf space in bathroom was very adequate. No toilet or air conditioning issues with either rooms. In fact the air conditioning worked a little too good. Brr it gets cold if it is turned way down.

Embarkation was a zoo when we arrived(12:30). It was quick but lots of people and lots of noise. My husband was not impressed with this process. Disembarkation was super fast. We were off the ship and in our service with SAS transportation by 7:35 am.

Food was more than adequate for us. Once again we are simple people with a midwestern meat and potatoes mentality. First night we ate at Cagney's and had a great meal. The guys at my house love a steak so the $20 was well worth it for them. I had the NCL coupon books so it was only a $40 charge for 4 instead of $80worth every cent we paid. The next two nights we ate at Palace restaurant. The food was good and service good as well. I tried the chilled strawberry soup and must say my family enjoyed the terrible face I made. I am in the minority but I HATED it. I am a hug strawberry eater but found this to be disgusting. We found the buffet to be very adequate. We ate all breakfasts here and an occasional afternoon snack. The last night we ate dinner at the buffet as the main dining room fare did not appeal to us. The pasta station at dinner needs some revamping to improve traffic flow. We met many rude people at the buffet. Evidently some don't believe in waiting their turn. :(

We did take only ship sponsored excursions. I must say that some people feel that a time to be there must not apply to them. We waited approx 20 minutes extra on each excursion just for the stragglers. If it says to be there at a certain time-be there. DH and oldest son went diving. They had a great time. Youngest son went bottom reef fishing in Freeport and enjoyed it. We did find the location of docking at Freeport to be far from town but we were on the port side and enjoyed watching the container ships loading and unloading interesting.

Our biggest fear of taking a cruise was DH's sever motion sickness. I am happy to say he did wonderfully. No Bonine was needed on the entire cruise. The dive boat is another story. :)

We loved the cruise so much that we bought a cruise reward certificate. Now to decide where to go next. We fell in love with the balcony and will definitely book another balcony cabin.

Publication Date: 12/21/08