Liberty of the Seas Cruise Review by ChristieNJ

Home > Reviews > Member Reviews > Liberty of the Seas Cruise Review by ChristieNJ
Liberty of the Seas
Liberty of the Seas
Member Name: ChristieNJ
Cruise Date: November 2008
Cabin Category: PR
See More About: Liberty of the Seas Cruise Reviews | Eastern Caribbean Cruise Reviews | Royal Caribbean Cruise Deals
Member Rating   5+ out of 5+

Luxury on the Liberty!
This was my 11th cruise overall, my 7th on Royal Caribbean, and my 2nd on Liberty of the Seas.

We flew to Miami on Friday, November 7th, a day early for our cruise. We stayed at the Sheraton Miami Mart, after securing a price on Priceline, and was very happy with the hotel. Marble countertops, large room, and friendly service. We dined in South Beach for dinner at the Cuban restaurant Lario's, on Ocean Drive.

The next morning we headed to the cruise port at around 11:00 a.m. Being Platinum, I was expecting to use the Priority waiting area before boarding. No need to. My husband and I walked right up to the Priority Check-In line that had no wait at all, checked right in, and went upstairs. We got our SeaPass pictures taken, again with no one in line in front of us, and boarded the ship immediately. After being a year and a half since I was on her for a pre-inaugural run, she is still shiny & beautiful, and still my favorite ship of the fleet.

The Liberty has their new "sailaway" party on the pool deck. It was fun to watch, although to tell you the truth I think most people were too busy watching the scenery go buy rather than watching what was going on at the pool deck. After dinner we relaxed by the pool until dinnertime, when we met our wonderful waitstaff who was Sugita from Indonesia and Maureen from Jamaica. They were great and made each dinner fun to be at.

James Andrews was our cruise director. While I had never had him as a CD before, I had heard a lot and was anxious to check him out for myself. He is full of energy and he's a riot! His activities staff was one of the best I've ever seen also, as they were so much fun and personable.

The second day was our Meet & Mingle at Olive Or Twist. It was a lot of fun to meet everyone we had been posting with for the past year or so. I would highly recommend attending, as they give away nice little gifts also.

This was a sea day, and the weather was great and the Compass was filled with fun activities all day and night long, both inside and outdoors. Scrapbooking, wine tastings, health seminars, workout classes, pool volleyball, contests, Baggo by the pool, trivia, karaoke, just to mention a very few. But on this day, we watched the Men's Sexy Legs Contest out by the pool, which is always hilarious. We hung out in the hot tubs, and basically did nothing, which is just what we felt like doing that day. That night was Formal Night, and the Captain's Party on the Promenade was very nice, although very, very crowded. I liked our Captain very much, Captain Charles. He had a great sense of humor and a very personable man.

The next day, Monday, was scheduled to be Puerto Rico. But because of Hurricane Paloma, the Captain wisely decided to skip it and head straight for St. Maarten. So Monday became another sea day for us. And it worked out great because it was a beautiful day. I woke up, put my gym clothes on, and headed to the Walk A Mile on Deck 12. I did my mile, and then headed to the gym. The gym on the Liberty is state of the art, and has everything a gym on land has, and maybe more. Machines, weights, and aerobics studio. And the highlight, it's smack in the front of the ship and lined with windows so there is a never-ending view of the Caribbean sea. Perfect! We spent the rest of the day hanging by the pool and hot tub until dinner. After dinner we hit up trivia, and had a great time.

Tuesday we were in St. Maarten. We headed to Orient Beach. We have been there before and it is still beautiful. Later that night was the Dancing In The Streets (or rather, Promenade) 70's Party. I am not a fan of 70's music, so I just sat in my Promenade window seat in my stateroom with my book and watched the activities. Everyone seemed to be having a blast and there was fun entertainment by the cruise director's staff on the bridge over the Promenade that was pretty funny! They dressed up according to the 70's song, and it was very entertaining, to say the least.

Wednesday we finally got to Puerto Rico. My husband and I, along with our friends, headed to our favorite little eatery in Puerto Rico called El Jibarito. Once again we had an outstanding meal, and then after hitting up an internet cafe and walking around a little, we headed back to the ship. Just in time to see Explorer of the Seas coming around right behind us and docking right next to us. It was a great site to see my two favorite ships side by side!

Sailing away from Puerto Rico, the Latin band was playing poolside. Unfortunately I cannot remember their name, but they were THE best Latin band we have ever heard on a ship. They were really outstanding! I enjoyed listening to them in Bolero's each night. The only problem with Bolero's is that if you are a non-smoker, you really can't get anywhere near the bar or the dance floor. Basically you are confined to the other side of the staircase, and the only thing there are tables and chairs. That part REALLY stinks, because my entire group would have enjoyed very much to do some Spanish dancing, but we had an asthmatic in our group and someone with emphysema as well, so it was impossible to enjoy Bolero's. Which is a shame, because I would have loved to get on that dance floor with a cool Mojito in my hand!

That night we ate at Chop's for dinner, since I could not be in the dining room that night due to a shellfish allergy. I wasn't thrilled with going to Chop's, since I am definitely not a steak person. I love Portofino! But my husband wanted to give Chop's a try, since we had never been before. The service was impeccable, and I ordered a Petit Filet. It had to be the best steak I had ever eaten! It was so juicy and cooked so perfectly that I was definitely glad we tried it. The appetizers and dessert were just as delicious, and that was the one night we stuffed ourselves! Props to Chop's.

Thursday was Labadee. I was very much looking forward to it because Labadee is my favorite port of call. The island is paradisaic, and so are the Labadoozies! It was a perfect day for the beach....blazing sun and cool water. The barbeque was very good, complete with burgers, hot dogs, turkey burgers, Jerk chicken, ribs, all the sides, and desserts and fruit. Later that night was Quest. It was, as usual, hysterical...and that's all I will say. Right after that was my favorite party of the week, the 80's Dance Party. Earlier in the week, they always choose passengers to be part of the show, and I was chosen to be the Egyptian and lip-sync during the Walk Like An Egyptian song. It was such a blast!!!!

Friday was our last day, and it was a sea day. I finally hit the FlowRider, and it was just as much fun as I remembered it to be! Once again we did our usual routine of doing nothing but being lazy bums, and had a great time doing so. At dinner, the wait staff performed for us for the second and last time of the cruise. Dinner each night was a great experience, as there would be a quartet playing, or a piano player, or a guitarist, all making the atmosphere sophisticated and elegant in that beautiful dining room. After dinner we packed up and headed to the Farewell Show, which is always fun. It's great to see the highlights of the cruise on the Cruise In Review video. Lo and behold, my act as an Egyptian made the final cut! Yes of course I was proud!

As far as the shows in the theater, my husband and I are not 'production show' people, and didn't attend those shows. Although, one night we decided to attend the In The Air show. We ended up leaving within the first 10 minutes. And our friends, we found out later, left also. It was horrendous. To us, it made no sense, and was totally bizarre! If there is a soul out there who can explain what the heck was going on, I'd love to hear it.

We did attend Beatlemania Live. And although I was 20 years too late, I am a huge fan of the Beatles. This show was simply AMAZING!! It was the most awesome show we have ever seen on a ship in our lives. They looked (style-wise), sounded, acted, and sang like the Beatles, and every minute of that show was entertaining. I cannot say enough about that show, and it's definitely not to be missed!

There is constantly something to do onboard. If for some reason, none of the activities interest you at the moment or you just don't feel like taking part, there are so many places to sit & listen to music, or just enjoy the view, that no one should lack for anything to do. My husband and I even went to the Seven Hearts game room one night and enjoyed a game of Yahtzee. There were many decks of cards, and all different board games to use. Besides all that, there is always the usual goings-on of miniature golf, basketball, rock climbing, surfing, and ice skating, just to mention a few.

We were constant attendees at Cafe Promenade and Sorrento's. I love all of the food they have at those little eateries. And the lattes they make at the Cafe are very tasty.

All in all we had an outstanding time onboard Liberty of the Seas. She still remains my favorite ship, and especially after the awesome week we just had. We have cruises currently booked on Explorer of the Seas and Oasis of the Seas, and this successful vacation aboard Liberty makes us all the more eager for our upcoming cruises! I would recommend this ship to anyone, as there is something for everyone onboard!

Publication Date: 12/16/08