Majesty of the Seas Cruise Review by Aquahound

Home > Reviews > Member Reviews > Majesty of the Seas Cruise Review by Aquahound
Majesty of the Seas
Majesty of the Seas
Member Name: Aquahound
Cruise Date: November 2008
Destination: Bahamas
Cabin Category: SO

Majesty Still Delivers
My wife and I love to travel and this was our 13th cruise together. This was our third cruise on Majesty of the Seas, and first since the ship went through a $40,000,000 refurbishment. I knew what to expect on this cruise.

Embarkation was a breeze. We arrived at the port at 10:30 am, and boarded at 11:00. My wife and I were #2 and #3 to board. We were almost first, but two young ladies cut us in line to gain the bragging rights.

For a three night cruise, I was surprised at the lack of partiers on board. With the exception of the few inconsiderate people you see on every cruise, the crowd was very well behaved. Leaving the ship at the end, I saw a young man with a beer bong around his neck, but I never had the pleasure of seeing him throughout the cruise.

We stayed in room category SO 9048. We knew how small the rooms were on Majesty of the Seas, so I booked this category for some extra elbow room. This is the only non-suite category to have a small couch in the room. Also, there is extra storage and counter space. We booked on an unbelievable Florida residency discount, but if anyone is considering Majesty of the Seas, I highly recommend paying the extra money for this category. It is well worth it.

Our room attendant was Irvin from Trinidad and Tobago. He was very personable and friendly. I enjoyed my conversations with him. Kudos to him for a job well done.

The Cruise Director, Ricky, was from Jamaica. He introduced himself in the theater by singing "Hey, Hey baby, I want to know for sure, will you be my girl?" (I don't know the real name of the song). It was very entertaining and it got the crowd up and dancing. But from there, he sort of just fizzled. With time, he'll probably make a great Cruise Director.

The ship looked great. Majesty of the Seas is 16 years old, but she certainly didn't look it. The refurbishment did great things for the shopping area and the Windjammer cafe area. The Windjammer is now completely under air conditioning. I recommend eating upstairs. The addition of Latte-Tudes was well received by my wife and I. We drank mochas every day. If you are a chocolate lover, do not pass on the mudslide cookies!

I am a little disappointed at the decline in food quality on Royal Caribbean. On day one I tried the alternative selection, the sirloin, which is available every day. It came out cool and chewy. My wife's was mostly fat, and a gentleman at a table next to us returned his. Everything else was just Ok.

Coco Cay was fabulous, as always. If you are the type to wander and explore, walk the nature trail. At the far end of the island is a secluded beach with a few beach chairs. There was no one there. Also, there is a trail leading to a palm umbrella with great views of the ship. Again, no one was there.

I have been to Nassau countless times. I never really liked it, and I still don't. About the only thing I recommend doing is visiting Atlantis. **Here's a hint...Atlantis charges you to just walk in their lagoon area. They station workers at the entrances to check your pass. If you go to the old building all the way to the right (I believe it's called the Coral Tower), you can walk down a hallway that leads to a glass door. It lets you out at the far end of the lagoon area. No one patrols that area.

Disembarking was not so nice. Easily, half the ship elected for express departure. I'm sure this is common with 3-nighters. The express line stretched through the Centrum on deck 4, all the way around the dining room, back across the Centrum, through the elevator area, and up three sets of stairs to deck 7.

All in all, this was a great cruise. Majesty of the Seas does not have all the bells and whistles that Royal Caribbean's bigger ships have. But for a 3 nighter, she remains my ship of choice. She looks great and it makes an excellent weekend getaway.

Publication Date: 12/03/08