Carnival Freedom Cruise Review by cosmoplease!: Thanksgiving in the Carribean!

cosmoplease!
Member Since 2008
1 Post

Compare Prices on Carnival Freedom Western Caribbean Cruises

Thanksgiving in the Carribean!

Sail Date: November 2008

Saturday morning, Nov. 22nd, I awoke at 5AM in Atlanta, GA to a frigid temperature of 20 to go catch a bus to the train station to then get on a plane to Ft. Lauderdale where I would leave for my longest cruise taken yet...8 days! My husband and I were very excited since 2 of the 3 ports were to places we had not been (Panama and Costa Rica). The other port was Cozumel which we love. It was quite chilly and windy in Ft. Lauderdale when we set sail but I was happy to be headed out to sea!

Day 2 was pretty overcast most of the day...a little bit of a bummer since I love the sun and was looking forward to going back to Atlanta a few shades darker. We were pretty lazy this day...we took a little tour around the boat and checked stuff out but pretty much laid around all day either in the cabin or a chair on the deck. Our first night to dinner we met Kat and Mike and hit it off...they were great. From then on we always had something to talk about at dinner with the 2 of them. More The best thing about dinner however, was the bar waiter, Karel Zimmerman...he was a real cutie pie with a great smile and personality to go along with it.

Day 3 was in Cozumel and it was beautiful! Every other time we have went to Cozumel we rented a jeep and drove around, this time we just went to a beach and soaked up the sun.

Day 4 was another yucky weather sea day...ugh...by now I had found the Habana bar which I loved...it was a cigar bar so I could smoke in there and it was near our dining room. I loved the salsa type music they played.

Day 5 was Costa Rica...we did book an excursion here through the cruise line...we just hopped off the ship and found a bus to jump on for $20 pp. We got to ride down the coast line which we saw rainforests, slothes, and stopped at a little fruit stand thing and then got to stop at a little beach for some shopping also. We went to the banana plantation which was pretty cool too. The whole trip was about 3 1/2 hours...definately worth the money, Carnival had the same type of excursion they were charging about $60pp for. I have found in the past that you get better deals if you just get off the ship and then pay for stuff.

Day 6 was Panama and we did book our excursion through the cruiseline, only cause we were afraid it would book up. We went through the Panama Canal! Again...a very nasty weather day...it rained almost the whole day. We did not realize we chose the rainy season to travel...make sure you check on that before going anywhere...lol. Going through the canal is something I am glad I can say that I have done but would not do again. The ship port is on Colon which is the crappy part of Panama...the bus ride to get on the Ferry to go through the canal was 2 hours...each way and our tour guise must have been new cause she did not speak very well. Going through the lockes was pretty cool but after 2 it was kinda like ok...ready to go.

Day 7 another crappy weather day...just overcast, not rainy atleast. We took advantage of the huge screen out on the lido deck this night...we watched Transformers. It was a little windy but was nice to lay out on the open deck and watch.

Day 8 was beautiful so I managed to get 2 sunny days out of the trip...I was up pretty late in the 70's dance club the night before (which was alot of fun...there were more crew members on the dancefloor than guests...it was nice to see them relaxing) so we laid in the sun all day and watched football on the bigscreen until about 5...then we finished the FL vs FL ST game in the Players Bar...GO GATORS!!!!

A few things that I don;t remember what day they were...lol...

The comedians were funny, I didn't make it to any of the shows, the casino was always hopping and the night club was alot of fun! The dinner in the dining room was a little repetative but was good. Our waiter, asst. waitress, and cabin steward did a great job and of course Karel made sure I always had a Cosmo in my hand at dinner and while in the casino! Less

Read more Carnival Freedom cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Carnival Freedom Review >>

Cabin review: Carnival Freedom Balcony Empress 7434

I loved our cabin...we were the first balcony from the rear so ours was twice as long as the others down the side of the ship.