Carnival Splendor Cruise Review by cruisemstr

Member Name: cruisemstr
Email: brandon_graves@yahoo.com
Cruise Date: November 2008
Cabin Category: 6A
See More About: Carnival Splendor Cruise Reviews | Eastern Caribbean Cruise Reviews | Carnival Cruise Deals

Not So Happy
Hello All,

I couldn't wait to get online and post my review of the brand new carnival splendor. I must say that i was disappointed on this cruise on many levels.

Embarking:

This was the longest process that I've ever had to go thru to get on any cruise ship. I had to wait over 2 hours to get on board when i arrived at 12:00 like everyone else did. I found out that the wait was long because they only had 3 workers working behind the desk to get you signed in, this was for vip and regular cruisers. Then when i finally approached the desk they couldn't find my key cards or my reservation so that was another 30 mins for that. But no big deal i wasn't goin to let that ruin my cruise.

Ship:

The ship is a beautiful ship indeed i was very impressed by the ship yes it is very pink like some people stated but the color didn't bother me at all and i sure wasn't goin to let something as small as the color not allow me to have a good time. Very big ship also, the theater was disappointing the way they have it designed because there is so many railings that it blocks your view on many levels. No matter where you sit in the balcony there is a railing blocking your view and also some on the bottom floor as well. I really enjoyed my room very big and spacious and more than enough room for everything that i needed to store. Nice flat screen tv's and all. They even offered you robes to wear through out your cruise which was new to me because on my last carnival ship they didn't do that so i was very impressed by that. What puzzles me is that this was a new ship and only 2 of the elevators worked and when we alerted the staff of the problem they said they would fix it but never got to it the entire time so people had to resort to using the stairs to get everywhere they needed to go around the ship.

Food:

The food was very bad and i was very very shocked by that, Everybody and i do mean everybody that i ran into on the ship was complaining about the food on board. It's like they never changed the menu, the cooked steak and beef in so many different ways until after a wh ile it makes you sick just to even look at it. Several nites i went to bed hungary because the food was so bad. And my spouse also agree that it was bad to. I thought it was just us that had the issue but everybody we talked to hated the food onboard. The thanksgiving dinner was a true joke . Two pieces of turkey with gravy and some sweet potato hash and that was it. I had enough hamburgers and hotdogs on this trip to last me a lifetime. And thats all you could eat if you weren't satisfied with the menu in the main dining room.

Kids:

The kids onboard this ship made the vacation a true nightmare. I don't have any problems or anything with kids i have been on several cruises with kids before and none ever acted as these did. They would run up and down the halls at all hours of the nite screaming and yelling and knocking on peoples doors and running, Then the would each take a elevator and sit in the entrance just to delay people from using them. Some teenagers were blurting out racial slurs to some of the passengers which was totally uncalled for. And security didn't do anything regarding the behavior of the children which i didn't understand. I talked to so many people that were dissatisfied with this cruise. I don't complain but i feel when i pay my money i expect to have a decent vacation. But i tried to overlook those things and have a great cruise anyway.

Ports:

I was disappointed why in the world carnival for our first port of call would get into puerto rico at 5pm in the evening not giving anybody enough time to tour the island or anything we get there right at nite time. And from what other passengers were saying is that puerto rico is no where you want to be at walking around at night. So i was very disappointed by that because i really wanted to see the highlights of puerto rico but wasn't able to because so many things were already closed. Then we went to La Romana which to me was a huge waste of time, I was talking to passengers that paid over 100 dollars for there excursions and were completely disappointed. I only paid 5 bucks for a shuttle to take me into town where the shopping was so i wasn't to upset by what i paid for. The people were extremely rude and unhelpful when you presented them with questions. But i do expect that sometimes when you go to certain islands so no big deal. I really really loved St. Thomas its so beautiful and had a wonderful time there. After that we sailed in to grand turk which was beautiful as well not much there to do though if your not a swimmer then you probably wouldn't like this destination because all the excursions where things that involved swimming, It's not a big shopping destination. Carnival informed us that it was there first time sailing to this island and they gave us a survey to fill out to let them know if they should continue this port. Then our last port was Nassau which i always always love to go to beautiful each time i visit.

Weather:

The weather was only good for about 3 days of the 8 that we sailed. Very bad storms and wind and the ship was very very very rocky, I mean more rocky than it ever has been on any cruise that i've been on. It rained several days while we were on the cruise. But hey i didn't let that sour me because this is a cruise and all cruise you go on want be smooth sailing all the time so sometimes you have to expect that. Overall i rate this cruise 3 stars. The service was FANTASTIC on all areas so that made up for some of the negative things that i had to put up with. Would i sail the splendor again i don't think so i think i will stick with Royal Caribbean cruise lines. I don't want or mean to offend anybody by saying that but this is just my opinion. iew.

Publication Date: 12/02/08