Celebrity Solstice Cruise Review by Chris: Good and bad

Compare Prices on Celebrity Solstice Cruise to Nowhere Cruises

Good and bad

Sail Date: November 2008
Destination: Cruise to Nowhere

We are great fans of cruising on Celebrity ships (Elite captains club members) and we took the opportunity to try out the new Solstice for a 2-night cruise.

Embarkation at Ft lauderdale was SLOW; the staff seemed untrained and unclear as to how to enter our data into their computer even though we had completed the "Express" process prior to Embarkation.

Lunch in the cafeteria was an adventure in finding where everything could be found. The quality and variety of food was very good and the decor was interesting.

We spent the afternoon exploring the ship and our summary is that we were most impressed with the design and execution of this large ship. It does not seem so big because of the clever design. The cabin was pleasant with a small well-designed bathroom. We found the closet space to be limited.

The 1/2 acre of grass was different but already showing signs of wear.

We watched the glass blowing demonstration at the "Corning More museum of glass' and found it excellent. The master glass blower "Annette" is a true professional.

Dinner in the main restaurant was a big disappointment. Both nights I was given food other than that which i had ordered; it was also half-cold. On the second night I asked to speak to the Maitre'd to complain; after repeating my request 3 times, and waiting over 20 minutes he showed up and gave different explanations for his delay and for my food being unsatisfactory. The wait staff were unfriendly and resented my complaint. Other diners around us told us that they had the same experiences. This is the worst experience we have ever had in a Celebrity restaurant.

This was the first Celebrity cruise on which we were not asked to complete a "comments" card before departure. The message seemed to be that the cruise line did not want our comments, so I went to Guest Relations and asked to make a comment. I was given a post-card sized form to complete and on submitting it I saw that it was added to a large pile of other cards.

The evening show named "Solstice" was truly a new experience. We would recommend that everybody who travels on Solstice should see this show.

Disembarkation was quick and easy.

Overall a great ship that was spoilt for us by poor service at Embarkation and in the restaurant. What a pity Less

Read more Celebrity Solstice cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Celebrity Solstice Review >>

Cabin review: Celebrity Solstice Deluxe Oceanveiw Stateroom Continental Deck (6) 9286