Costa Concordia, A Look Back Cruise Review by km1966: Bad food, no service

Bad food, no service

Sail Date: July 2008
Destination: Europe - Western Mediterranean
Embarkation: Rome (Civitavecchia)

Hated this cruise. It was my third cruise and my first in Europe. The boarding went well, the ship was huge and gorgeous and the room was a typical balcony room. Then the cruise started...

We left from Civitavecchia on time, but without a drill. I thought this quite odd, so I checked the info for my muster station on the cabin door and found it myself. Went to dinner and the food was oh so plain. After this, some nights it was O.K. and some nights just downright bad. Thank God for the Pizza Parlour on the Lido deck but you had to hurry as this closed at 11:00, an it was the only food available past 8:00 at night. The breakfast was worse. Reconstituted eggs, burnt bacon and the coffee.. The coffee was awful, and I suspect they did this on purpose as they were selling espresso cards on board (25 euros for a card that had a choice of espresso, cappuccino or iced coffee). I asked a waiter why the coffee was so bad, and he replied that it depended on who made it (!) More

First stop was Savonna, Italy. About 1000 guests got off and another 1000 new guests got on. Then we had our drill. I asked our cabin steward what was the deal, and she informed us that this cruise could be bought in 7 day, 5 day or 3 day cruise... So all the ports we visited we had a turn-over of guests.

All week in the hallways, there was dirty laundry, since they had to change the sheets whenever there was a turn-over and pieces of luggage everywhere. It was a like a constant first day.

The staff was overworked and too few for the people on board. The only way to get a drink in the casino or at poolside was to go to the bar and order it yourself.

On the last day, we finally got off this ship and vowed never to cruise Costa again. Less

Read more Costa Concordia, A Look Back cruise reviews >>