Carnival Splendor Cruise Review by cps10

Member Name: cps10
Cruise Date: November 2008
Destination: Bahamas
Cabin Category: 6A
See More About: Carnival Splendor Cruise Reviews | Bahamas Cruise Reviews | Carnival Cruise Deals
Dining 5+
Spa & Fitness 5+
Shore Excursions 5+
Value-for-Money 5+
Rates 5+

Pretty in Pink!
I am a travel agent and I won this cruise as an incentive for selling the most Carnival in my region. I really love Carnival so this was pretty easy for me. :-) I brought my hubby but our 2 kids stayed home this time.

We flew in from Charlotte, NC and landed in FLL. We took the $20 cab ride (that included the tip) and we were dropped off at the ship. The embarkation line was very long but organized. I heard a lot of grumbling but I always try to keep in mind that embarkation and disembarkation are up to the Port Authority and NOT the cruise line. We stood patiently and eventually got on the ship.

Ship- Wow! This is a the pinkest thing I have ever seen! It looked like a zebra drank too much Pepto Bismol and left it's mark all over the place. It took me about a day to get used to it. Even the lounges, stairs, elevators and dining rooms were pink or zebra. It would have been my 14 year old daughter's dream ship!

Stateroom- We were in an Oceanview 6A. It was very large and comfy. I was impressed with how big it was. It is basically the same size as a balcony room but they don't cut into the room to make the balcony. The Carnival Comfort Beds were wonderful as always. The shower was great too.

Activities & Entertainment- We enjoyed the lounges. The comedian the first night seemed nervous and started out rough but ended up being OK. The comedian the second night- Percy Cruise II was soooo good! We really enjoyed him. We generally don't go to the vegas style shows so seeing the comedians worked for us.

Dining- I have always like Carnival food. I expect it to be "Golden Corral" style food since they feed about 3000+ people but they always go above and beyond. The steaks were tender, the fish was fresh. I cannot complain at all. It was wonderful. Of course, we had to get the Warm Chocolate Melting Cake. It is to die for!

Service- We liked our head waitress and assistant waiter. Ken, the Maitre d' was great too. We were singing and dancing each night after dinner.

Our stewardess was also very accommodating and friendly. We love Carnival's staff!

Shore excursions- I got a room at Atlantis and we hit the waterpark and the casino and then rounded out the day with a little shopping before heading back to the boat. We stopped at Kafe Kalik (in the cruise port terminal) and had a couple drinks. The Nassau Gal is a yummy cocktail and quite potent as well.

The Negatives- I only have 2 complaints with this ship and her service.

1. I ordered Room Service and was told my wait for my PB&J would be 1 1/2 hours. I was OK with that but after 2 hours my food never showed up. We called to let them know but they didn't seem to care- it was free anyway! We tried again later that night and we got our food within the 45 minute time period that they said it would arrive. It was yummy!

2. I love pink and all but really, it took me a while to get used to it but I think it needs to be toned down even more. I expect Carnival to be flashy and Vegas like but this was just a bit much, even for me.

Disembarkation- This was a breeze! We like the new zone system where you wait in your room until your zone is called (or you eat in the dining rooms or at the buffet). Carnival has come a long way in making this a bearable process.

Summary- Of course we will sail Carnival over and over again. You just can't beat it for the price and the value! :-)

Publication Date: 11/18/08