Norwegian Sky Cruise Review by Lucy F

Destination: Bahamas
Cabin Category: OA

Ship Facts: Norwegian Sky Review (by Cruise Critic!) | Norwegian Sky Deck Plans
Smooth Sailing on the Sky
A little background info: My boyfriend and I recently took a much needed mini-vacation and chose the Norwegian Sky because it fit around our work schedules. I have been on 6 past cruises. 5 with Royal Caribbean and 1 with Norwegian (before they went Freestyle). My boyfriend had never been on a cruise. We are in our late 20's early 30's.

I flew into Ft Lauderdale Thursday afternoon and took a shuttle to my hotel in Miami. We had booked the La Quinta Miami Airport East because it offered at free shuttle to and from the airport (where my bf was flying in) and a free shuttle to the port in the morning. My shuttle driver and a business passenger started laughing when I told them where I was staying. Very rough, rundown area with nothing around. I did not leave the room and felt much better once my boyfriend arrived. We boarded the 11am shuttle in the morning with other guests and headed to the port.

We arrived at the port and check-in was very smooth. We got on the ship around 12:15 and immediately went to the pool deck (the sun was shining!). We were smart and knew we would not have our bags until later, so I put our bathing suits and sunscreen in my carry-on bag. We overheard lots of people remarking that they wished they had done the same thing. We enjoyed frozen drinks before checking into our cabin at 1:00. I was surprised at how big our cabin was. We were on the 9th deck and had a huge window. Not too much storage, but enough. I loved our cabins location. It was perfect. We then explored the ship and relaxed in the hot tub. Our luggage was in the room by 4:00 pm.

We ate dinner the first night at Il Adiago. It seemed that Cagney's steakhouse filled up really quickly so I recommend making reservations for that as soon as you get on board. Il Adiago was excellent. Quiet, private table, good service, great food. It was worth the $10.00 up charge.

We snorkeled in Nassau the next day which was great, but chilly on the boat ride over. I wish it would have left later in the day, but we got back around lunchtime and ate the buffet on the ship. We ate the lunch buffet everyday and I really enjoyed it. Wide selection of food for all cultures. We went to Senor Frogs in Nassau which was crazy, but fun.

We ate in the Palace Dining Room the 2nd night. It was okay...I see why they want you to go to the speciality restaurants. The portions were smaller and our wine steward did not understand English too well. I liked being able to walk in and get a table. We ate around 9:00, so the crowd had died off.

We watch the Newlywed game one night and it was really funny, we were sad that we stumbled upon it in the middle. There was also a really good guy that played the acoustic guitar every night. I think he played in the Plantation Bar. We went to the Red Hot Party which was wild. Lots of lights and Caribbean/Spanish techno music.

The only part of the cruise I was annoyed with was waiting for the tender to go to Great Stirrup Cay. We went down around 11:00 and were crammed in a stairwell and with ton of others waiting for the tender. It was uncomfortable and people were being rude/antsy. I don't know why we were limited to wait in that area. I did really like Great Stirrup Cay, but get there early because the lounger chairs go fast. We got some mid-day when a couple headed back to the ship.

The last night we ate at Le Bistro. It was really nice, but I did not feel it was worth the up-charge. We had booked the anniversary package (great deal!) and got dinner in there provided and a bottle of wine. It was an enjoyable experience and the food was good, but I enjoyed Il Adiago better. We would have probably gone to Cagney's had we not gotten dinner at Le Bistro with the package.

We were very sad to leave and my boyfriend now thinks that cruising is the only way to travel. We will definitely chose NCL again.

Publication Date: 11/17/08