Celebrity Solstice Cruise Review by idssms: Solstice Naming Cruise

Sail Date: November 2008
Destination: Cruise to Nowhere

Solstice Naming Cruise

Nov 14th to Nov 16 2008

We feel honored that Celebrity invited us to attend this very special event.

We left early on Friday morning on a 3 hour drive to Port Everglades to board the Solstice at 11 am.

The ship is everything I could have imagined and more. It is something to behold and must to seen in person to get the full effect. When we stepped on the Solstice we fell in love with it.

We were given a deluxe ocean view veranda on the 9th Floor (9176) and it was stunning. Nothing like a new room with new furniture, sheets, towels etc. The room was very tastefully decorated and my wife thought the storage was more then adequate if you used all the provided areas including the overhead space above the beds.

The showers on the Solstice have NO curtain but two lucite doors that each slide open in a semi circle. The shower space is 30% increased compared to the C or M class ships. It was a pleasure taking a More shower in this cabin. The faucets and fixtures were very upscale and worked well.

Each room has a nice refrigerator which has adequate storage.

The food court was the best we have ever seen at sea. I cannot call it a buffet because that would not be doing it justice. Its a huge opened room with many dedicated areas of different cuisine, ie, Mexican, Sushi, Steaks and Potatoes, desserts, Pizza and Burgers, ice cream and the best low fat frozen yogurt (no charge), cheeses and crackers and much more.

The Sea Bass on the first night was excellent but nothing bested our filet mignon at Tuscan Grill which is an Italian Steakhouse. All the Captains Club Members were invited to one of the Specialty Restaurants on Saturday night.

The ship naming was very touching and I have attached some videos of the ceremony at the end of this review.

The crew on the ship was excellent as expected and it was great to be in the company of Richard Fein (Chairman of RCL) Dan Hanarhan (CEO Celebrity) and Adam Goldstein (CEO Royal Caribbean). There was a question and answer session with these gentlemen on Saturday morning that was very interesting. I learned a great deal from this session. Simon and Nick Weir were the perfect hosts as Hotel Director and Cruise Director. It is great seeing friends like Simon and Nick. As I told Dan H, 80% of the reason we cruise with X is because of the outstanding people in his employ. When you have taken a few cruises and get to know the ship staff you feel like part of the Celebrity family.

There was a show on both nights and they were excellent. Ghost of Broadway was the best show I have ever seen on a ship. The dancers and singers were incredible. Cannot wait to see the show again on a future cruise.

This event was spectacular and I am very grateful to Celebrity for including us in it.

I hope to do a lot more cruising on the Solstice in the near future.

Link to Video and Pictures: http://good-times.webshots.com/album/568709023aLXIrE Less

Read more Celebrity Solstice cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Celebrity Solstice Review >>

Cabin review: Celebrity Solstice Deluxe Oceanveiw Stateroom Sunrise Deck (7) 9176

Adequate Storage space, great showers with nice doors, pristine room, palacio ship, huge common areas.