Celebrity Constellation Cruise Review by crazybus

Home > Reviews > Member Reviews > Celebrity Constellation Cruise Review by crazybus
Celebrity Constellation
Celebrity Constellation
Member Name: crazybus
Email: crazybus@aol.com
Cruise Date: October 2008
Embarkation: Bayonne (Cape Liberty)
See More About: Celebrity Constellation Cruise Reviews | Eastern Caribbean Cruise Reviews | Celebrity Cruise Deals
Member Rating   5+ out of 5+
Public Rooms 5+
Shore Excursions 5+
Value-for-Money 5+

Constellation Repo Cruise
Embarkation. My husband drove me to Cape Liberty. My sister arrived about the same time I did and my other sister was pulling into the pier. We all met outside and went inside to check in. There were only a couple of passengers ahead of us so it went very quickly. Once we were set, we boarded the bus right away and off to the ship we went. We received our welcome champagne and went straight to our staterooms, they weren't quite ready but our stateroom attendant, Anil told us we could put our carry-ons in the closet. We then went straight to the buffet. By the time we were done lunch our staterooms were ready. We unpacked and walked around the ship.

Sea Days. We were very lucky and had great weather. Our sea days were spent by the pool. Yes, there were chair hogs but there were alot of chairs to go around. The Party Band, Top Notch, was very good, they had great voices but they did not play caribbean music. Most of their songs were oldies. When on a caribbean cruise I like to hear caribbean music. One day at the pool they started playing Christmas music. Not the band, the DJ. Give me a break, it's not even Thanksgiving yet! Other people complained also and the music was changed. However, still no caribbean music. I think they bought a Bob Marley CD in Aruba because from Aruba on they played the same Bob Marley CD from sun-up to sun-down. Yikes!!! The coffee on the ship was horrendous, it was by far the worst coffee I have ever tasted. I am not a coffee snob but this was the worst. I couldn't wait to get to a port so I could have a decent cup. The breakfast and lunch buffet was good and always had a large selection to choose from. Dinner was very good but I do think the food is a step lower from before. They are giving smaller portions but I thought that was good because this time I could have an appetizer, soup, salad, entree and dessert and nothing was wasted. We also ate in Ocean Liners and the food and service was exceptional. I would recommend this to everyone. I wish I could have eaten there every night! The ship itself is in very good condition. It was easy to find your way around. There were many pieces of art throughout the ship. Every night before dinner we would meet at the Martini Bar. Ely was our bartender everynight throughout the cruise, he was fantastic. Gabriel, the bar manager would visit with us each night too. We have known him from other cruises we have taken and he too is outstanding. Even though I have complained about the coffee and music we still all had a great time.

Smoking. For all you smokers out there, by now you know that you cannot smoke in your stateroom or on the verandah. There are 4 smoking spots on the ship. The port side on the pool deck, the port side of the casino, the port side in the Bar at the Edge and port side aft on deck 10. These areas are just filled with smokers. I personally don't think it is enough areas for the amount of smokers that were on the ship. There was never enough seating for everyone who smokes. Hopefully, Celebrity will tweak their smoking areas.

Dress Code. Most people did adhere to the dress code on the ship. Of course with over 2,000 people you always have someone who does not. We did see some passengers in shorts in the dining room at diner. We were on an 11 night cruise and according to the Celebrity website and the book they send you with your docs, it stated 2 formal nights. NOT! Once we boarded we found out that there were 3 formal nights! My brother in law went down to Guest Relations and complained and they told him "Rules are Rules!" Okay! We get that, but don't tell us once we are onboard that rules are rules and now you have 3 formal nights. Needless to say they cleaned his Tux for free! So be prepared! I also read on several threads about people walking around in their robes. Oh yeah, there were many! They were wearing their robes to the pool in the Buffet and even on Caribbean night a woman came to the party in her nightgown and robe! Tacky, Tacky, Tacky! Please.....leave your robe in your stateroom.

Bermuda. We docked at the Dockyard in Bermuda and were there for 2 days. We purchased 2 day bus passes which were good for the ferry also. We took the bus to Horseshoe Bay but it was too chilly to go swimming, we took some pictures then took another bus into Hamilton. Hamilton is filled with stores and was nice to walk around but it is very, very expensive in Bermuda. We were going to jump on the ferry back to the Dockyard but we would have had to wait over an hour so we decided to take the bus back. It took well over an hour to get back to the ship. As we were getting off the bus the ferry was just pulling in. Bermuda is a beautiful island, it is clean and very well kept. I enjoyed walking around the Dockyard and going in the different stores. The second day, I met up with some other cruise critic passengers and we walked to the glass beach. It is about a mile from the Dockyard. In Bermuda there are no sidewalks, so walking along the roads is somewhat dangerous. The glass beach is very small but littered with tons of sea glass, the water was crystal clear, I wish I would have taken my snorkel gear with me. I collected a bag full of sea glass then we walked back to the Dockyard. I met up with my sister at the Snorkel Park. It is very nice here too but the water was on the cold side.

St Maarten. We decided to take a tour on our own here so we went with Bernard Tours. We had John as our tour guide. He was fantastic. It was a 6 hour tour around the island. We had several photo stops along the way, which were beautiful. We stopped at Sunset Bar and watched an airplane land right over our heads. We then went to the French side and stopped in Marigot and walked around town for a little while then went to Orient Beach. Since we were all adults he took us right next door from the nudist beach. WOW, did we see some sights! The water was clear and warm, we spent about an hour and half there. Very nice! We then headed back to Philipsburg for some shopping. The stores close at 6 so we didn't have a lot of time to shop but managed to pick up some jewelry, t-shirts and of course taste the Guavaberry liquor. We had about on hour then John took us back to the ship. Great time in St. Maarten.

Aruba. I love Aruba! This trip we decided to do the Mi Dushi tour through Celebrity. A bus picked us up at the ship and took us to a dock about 15 minutes away, we boarded a ferry which took us over to the Mi Dushi. We snorkeled at the Antilla wreck, it was a little rough out there but fun all the same. We then made 2 other stops, I believe it was Arashi reef and then Malmok Beach. Great snorkeling at both places. After everyone boarded the sailboat they then had the rope swing. My sister did it and said it was fun, I just took pictures. After the rope swing we had a BBQ lunch on the boat. Very good. It was also open bar, so everyone was very happy. We took our time sailing back to the pier and the bus took us back to the ship. We then went into town made a quick stop at Iguana Joe's, had a great cup of coffee at Dunkin Donuts and did some souvenir shopping. Another great day!

Labadee. We were supposed to spend the day in Labadee but because of a labor dispute with the workers they did not feel it safe enough to stop so instead we went to Nassau.

Nassau. I have been here several times and it was ok. We would have liked to have gone to Atlantis but today was not a very nice day. It was cloudy with passing showers so we just walked around town. Walked through the straw market and of course bought purses. Made a stop at Senor Frogs and then just walked around town and in and out of all the shops. Bought more souvenirs then back to the ship.

Disembarkation. We were supposed to go to the theater at 8:50. They started calling people at about 9:10 to disembark. Our flight was at 11:10 so I was getting a little nervous. There were several other cruise ships docked also. We left the ship at around 9:15, found our luggage and made our way outside, we did not have any transportation booked but got a van right away and were whisked off to the airport. The airport was crowded but the lines moved quickly. We only had about a half hour wait till we started to board the plane. So all in all it did go rather smoothly.

The Solstice and the Ruby Princess were docked in Ft. Lauderdale so we managed to get a few pictures of each. Both are beautiful ships. Hopefully some day I will sail on them.

Well, this is the end of my review, I hope it helps anyone out there about to board the Constellation. My motto is "There are no bad vacations as long as your on a cruise ship."

Until next time....................